Chapter 12, Happy

Is this the time to tell him about that beating in your chest? You can't. You told, "Of course I like you. You're my copartner and friend of 7 years." He stepped closer, leaving only a few inches of space between the two of you. "You know that's not what I meant. I know I'm physically you're copartner, but how do you feel about me?" Your face grew red as you replied, "We really shouldn't talk about this with Muichiro here."

Giyuu twisted the doorknob and pushed open the door to reveal Muichiro sleeping soundly. He pointed to Tokito, "Look, he's fast asleep." He shut the door and persisted, "So what is it? Do you like me?" You told, "Of course I like you as a roommate. I couldn't ask for someone better then my childhood friend." He stepped back and glanced at you. "Clearly you don't feel the way I thought you did. Sorry." He turned away from you and walked to the couch, resting himself on it. You nervously questioned, "Do you want me to sleep on the floor then? It doesn't bother me.." He nodded, "Yeah." Fortunately, you were quite tired, so dozing off wouldn't take long. As you laid down in the ground, chills ran up your spine. It was so cold. Was he really not going to offer you a blanket? You whispered, "Goodnight Tomioka." He shushed you, "Be quiet damnit."

You were awakened by someone's voice, "Y/n?" You slowly opened your eyes, adjusting to the light. Muichiro was standing over you. He asked, "You slept on the ground?" You looked to see Giyuu's face nuzzled into the couch, and could hear him snoring. You sat up and muttered, "Tomioka wake up.." He rubbed his eyes and groaned in a sleepy voice, "What do you need?" You stood up, "Muichiro's here." He quickly jumped off the sofa and said, "Oh, I'll make breakfast then." Tokito pointed out, "But you're still in your towel." Tomioka looked down at himself and scratched the back of his head, "Uh, let me change.."

Once he came back he asked, "Muichiro, do you know when Rengoku is coming home?" Tokito shook his head, "No. All he said was in the morning." Giyuu nodded, "I know he said he would make you guys breakfast," He paused and looked at the clock on the wall. "But he's late, so I'll make you both a small portion of eggs." He turned on the stove, and grabbed the apron sitting right beside it. Did he forget that you get sick when you eat eggs? You stated, "I get sick from eating eggs. I'll just have a granola bar." He looked back at you while holding a pan in his hand, "Oh, yeah. I forgot." You opened the cabinet and absentmindedly grabbed the first bar you saw. The pan sizzled as Giyuu sprayed cooking oil on it. He took an egg and tapped it on the edge of the cookware, letting the insides spill onto the hot oil.

You protested, "You're doing it wrong." He took a spatula and mixed around the egg. "Huh? I know how to make scrambled eggs, thank you. And get your ass to the table if you want to eat. Your damn crumbs are getting everywhere." You argued, "No, you're supposed to mix the eggs in a bowl before cooking them. It's called a scrambled egg because you scramble it before cooking it." Giyuu rolled his eyes, "You scramble them in the pan, right Muichiro?" You both turned around to see Tokito's input, but he looked like he had just seen a ghost. You noticed his crow was sitting on his shoulder. Was it bad news? You questioned,
"Muichiro? What's wrong?"

He didn't reply. You spoke louder, "Muichiro, what's the matter?" Again, no reply. Tomioka yelled, "Kid!" He finally looked up and whispered, "It's Rengoku." You asked, "What about him? Where is he?" Tokito muttered, "Dead. He was killed by Upper Rank Three, Akaza." You stared at him blankly for a few moments. It's this some elaborate prank? No, that's not it. If it were, Muichiro would've forgotten. It was also clear Muichiro's acting skills weren't this on point.

Rengoku's actually dead.

You stuttered, "D-Do any of others know?" At that moment, you heard someone burst through your front door. You turned to see it was Mitsuri. She sobbed, "You guys got the news too, right?!" She wiped her eyes and sniffled, "Y/n!" She threw her arms around you and continued to ugly cry. Once you finally hugged her back, she yelled, "Kyojuro was so kind, you know that? He's the reason I'm here today! He taught me everything I know!" You hardly knew Rengoku. It's sad to think that you won't be able to get to know him more, because you were really looking forward to that. Sabito said he was a nice guy. Kyojuro will probably find someone in the past life just like Sabito did. What are your options now?