Chapter 17, Polite

You mumbled, "Huh?" You let go of your master and backed up. You asked, "He's resigning?" Ubuyashiki looked away from you, "Well, yes. He came to me not too long ago and asked what I thought about him resigning. I figured I should let you know, because this is a very big responsibility." That's why he looked worried when you were about to leave him. It's not that he was worried about you, he was worried about himself. You were the person he was going to dump all of his responsibilities on. You nodded, "Yes, I get that.. But I don't get why he's leaving. He's dreamed of being in this position ever since we were young." Ubuyashiki added, "It's not just that he's resigning. Him and I-" He paused. "He and the other pillars have gotten into countless conflicts. His attitude towards his position isn't admissible. If he doesn't want to be here, I don't see the point in him staying, especially if we have another water pillar that can easily take his place."

You wanted to argue with him, but you couldn't. You nodded, "I understand sir. May I go speak with him?" He replied, "Oh sure, it'll be a bit before he leaves. Maybe a day or two.." You smiled, "It was lovely talking to you, "Mr. Ubuyashiki." He started to walk down the steps on your porch while holding his daughters hands. "Yes. I'll be going now." You waved, "Bye Mr. Ubuyashiki. And goodbye Nichika, and Hinaki." The girls spoke in unison, "Goodbye." You watched them walk away until they were out of earshot.

Immediately, you burst inside. You wanted answers. You shouted, "Giyuu!" You shuffled to his room door and twisted the doorknob. You didn't bother knocking, because you didn't care about his privacy at the moment. The door was locked. You continued to twist the doorknob, and started to knock aggressively. "Open the door!" You we're about to yell again, but you heard him shout through the door. "Goddamn you. What the fuck are you yelling for?!" He opened the door, and you almost fell. You pushed him really hard. "Are you insane? Did you lose your fucking mind!?"

Pushing Giyuu while drunk wasn't smart. He fell back on his bed still sitting up as you asked, "What the hell is wrong with you? Why are you screaming at me?" You stepped closer to him, "You're-" You noticed yourself yelling again. You tried to stay calm. "You're resigning?" He looked away from you. "Yeah. Sorry." You rolled your eyes, "Sorry for what? Leaving me again just like you left me 4 years ago?" He didn't say anything. You asked, "You couldn't have thought to tell me this sooner? I'm not even qualified to be your apprentice, let alone be the only water pillar. You are-"

He stood up from his bed and interrupted you, "Remember the final selection, y/n?" You remembered the final selection vividly. You nodded, "Yeah, I do." He continued, "You killed a lot of demons in there." What is he even talking about? You looked at him with a look of disappointment, "I wasn't questioning my ability to kill demons.. And what happened in the final selection is irrelevant. 15 year old me has nothing to do with the person I am today. If I were the strongest out of us you would be in my position and I'd be in yours."

He said, "I have nothing else to tell you." Well, since he's leaving, might as well ask him the question you've been wanting to ask. You waited a few moments before questioning, "Did you ever think about me in the four years we were apart?" He stared at the floor for a good while before giving you and answer. He shrugged, "I don't know. Maybe when I was sixteen or seventeen. After that I assumed you quit or retired." He paused, "You know, after Sabito I didn't really think you were strong enough to continue on with your career." That was pretty spot on actually. After Sabito and Makomo's death, you really didn't believe in yourself all that much. Truthfully, believing in yourself didn't get you very far. The only reason you hadn't quit is because you felt this job was your only purpose, and you felt it was your responsibility to avenge your family.

You murmured, "Oh." He retorted, "Did you?" You asked, "Did I what?" He replied, "Did you think about me at all?" You thought for a minute. "A little. But I never assumed you were the water pillar." Silence. He didn't really seem interested in the conversation. But before he left, you wanted to tell him something else that you've realized just now. You spoke, "I need to admit something to you." He responded, "Go ahead." You took a deep breath. "Giyuu I-" You tried again, "Before you go, I just wanted to tell you that I really missed you. I didn't think  of you a lot when we weren't together, but being with you now has made me realize how important you are to me."