Chapter 13, Back

Your family was killed by a demon, so by all means will you be staying in the Demon Slayer Corp. But what did he mean? Why is he encouraging you to leave? You told, "The only way I'll ever quit killing demons is once I die. I'll obviously try to have a family eventually, even if Sabito's gone." You paused, "But still, you wouldn't be happy if I left either. You'd be pretty lonely without me." He stared at you for a few seconds, trying to find the right words for what he was about to say. He eventually sighed, "If I'm being completely honest y/n, I don't care what you do. I'm not lonely."

You muttered, "You're saying you don't want me here at all?" He thought for a few moments, "Pretty much. Now go to bed. We have to get up in the morning." He walked over to his bedroom and stepped inside. Just as he was about to close the door you stated, "I have a question." He replied, "Make it quick." Why did he sound so annoyed? You asked, "Where am I supposed to sleep?"

He slammed his door and screamed, "I don't care!"

You stared at his room door for a good while. He seemed so angry. You haven't done anything wrong, so what is he acting out for? You knew the that the right thing to do was leave him alone, but you wouldn't be able to sleep well if you didn't figure out what's going on. You knocked on the door, but not too loudly. He quickly spoke up, "Don't come in." He sounded ill, like his nose was running. Is he sick? You hurriedly burst through the room door even after being asked not to. Surprisingly, he didn't say a word when you stepped inside his room. You couldn't see his face, only his back, so it was hard to tell if he was annoyed. You declared, "You sound stuffed up, Giyuu. You must be coming down with a bad fever. Sometimes it can make people irritable, and if not treated it can cause..." You didn't know what it could cause, you were just being nosy. You continued, "I don't want you to feel sick."

No reply. You continued, "Hang on, I'll be right back." You went to get an ice pack to cool him down, and check for any type of medicines that might help. You surged through his cabinets, to find only one small pill bottle. Ibuprofen; used to ease mild to moderate pain - such as toothaches, migraines, and period pain. Perfect. That should do for now. Maybe you could make him a nice soup tomorrow. You struggled to open the bottle, because the kid safety feature makes it hard for adults too. The dosage for someone above 18 is 2 pills, so that's the amount you dumped into your hand. You filled up a glass with water, then took ice cubes out of the freezer and placed it in a plastic ziplock bag to create an ice pack.

You waddled back to his room, your hands completely full. You told, "Giyuu, I brought you some stuff. Please take it." You could tell he was just being annoying at this point, because she was still moving slightly. You spoke louder, "Tomioka, I brought you medicine." Silence. He's acting childish, but you weren't about to lash out like he did. You sighed, "I understand you want Shinobu to be treating you right now. I know nothing about medicine, but the ibuprofen is a pain killer. Maybe you'll be less irritable if you take it. But I can still go get Kocho." Giyuu said nothing, again. You gave up and shook your head, "The medicine and icepack will be on your nightstand if you choose take them. I'm still going to get Kocho to come check you out, especially if you're mute now."

He grumbled, "I'm not mute, and I don't have a fever." If he isn't sick, why is he being moody? You questioned, "What is it then?" He replied, "Nothing. Nothing you'd understand." You sat down on his bed and persisted, "I know you better than anyone else. If you have a problem, I'd appreciate it if you'd just tell me." He sat up and pushed you off his bed saying, "And if appreciate it if you'd just stop nagging me!" You fell to the ground with a thump, but quickly picked yourself back up. You asked, "But why? Why can't you just tell me?" He quietly yet quickly answered, "The problem is you."

What? How is that possible? You've been kind to Giyuu. He's the one that always pick fights with you. You waited a few seconds before asking, "How so?" He explained, "I'm sick of knowing I'm going to be angry as soon I look at your stupid face! I just hate having you here! Your voice alone makes me want to die, seriously. Just leave me alone!" His voiced cracked as he said, "You ruin everything!" You glared at him for a few seconds. Does he really want you to leave? You stuttered, "But... But I have no where to go." Silence.

You spoke again, "My only job was to come here and help you, and if I'm a distraction, it really would be better for your career if I left." You grabbed your haori off Giyuu's doorknob and wrapped it around yourself, and you grabbed your katana off of the katana rack in his room. You walked out of room and headed to the front door. Tomioka sat up in bed and rolled his eyes, "You have no where to go." You just continued walking without saying a word. He stood up, looking panicked for a moment. If he looks worried, does that mean he was just bluffing? Does he not really want you to leave? He blurted, "Master Kagaya would be displeased if you left." You replied, "I'm only going to be gone for a few hours." He shouted, "Where the hell are you going?!" You calmly replied, "I don't know. Probably Mitsuri's."

He told, "But what if we have a misson while you're gone? What would we do then?" You shrugged, "I don't know. That seems like a you problem. Maybe you could ask your lovely girlfriend to go with you." He interrupted, "You still think she's lovely after she put drugs in your food?" Wait. You never got around to telling him that. How does he know?

You asked, "What? But I never told you . . ." Your sentence trailed off. You asked, "Where did you hear that?" With little to no hesitation he scoffed, "Cause I'm not dumb. Your food that Shinobu served you smelled exactly like the small bottle of sleeping medicine you left in my room." You whispered aloud, "I didn't mean to leave that in there.." He interrogated you, "You went through all of her medicines to find this, huh? With the help of Mitsuri and Obanai?" How does he know so much? If he knows all of that, does Kocho know too? You blurted, "How do you know all of this? Did Mitsuri spill?" He replied, "No. No one spilled." He put air quotes around spilled. "You guys are just stupid. I saw everything. And if you chose to take another step away from me I'll get all three of you fired."

Why is he being like this? Blackmail? He's never spoken to you like this, he hasn't spoken to anyone like that. You can't risk your friends career, but you don't want to risk your own future. Why can't he just let you go? You want a few hours to yourself, is that too much to ask for? You argued, "Mitsuri is already dealing with Rengoku's death. That would be cruel of you to do anything to her while she's in this state of mind."

Suddenly, both yours and Tomioka's crows came soaring towards you. They cawed in unison, "Sakonji Urokodaki has been reported dead! Sakonji Urokodaki's has been reported dead!"

What? He can't be. There's no way.. You prayed silently that one of the other pillars were playing a prank on you. Sakonji was the only father figure you've ever had in your life. He was the only family figure you've ever had. He was the last person that you we're actually close to. You adored him more than anything, for the longest time you wanted to be just like him. Giyuu whimpered, "Huh?" His voice was high pitched, and you spotted tears collecting on his lower eyelids.

Flashback

Urokodaki appeared at the doorway. He asked, "Will you be alright for the final selection tomorrow? I need to make sure you feel okay. I'd hate to have you get ill."

Flashback 2

Sakonji asked, "So, y/n. You think Sabito's handsome?" You looked down to the floor and muttered, "I mean, yeah.. Were we speaking that loud?"

Flashback 3

He asked, "You girls promise to not tell the boys?" Makomo exclaimed, "We promise!" As the mask fell off his face, nor you or Makomo made a single noise for a few seconds. You whispered, "I told you he isn't ugly."

Flashback 4

Makomo smiled, "I swear none of us will fight ever again if you promise to make us more of this soup!" Urokodaki added, "Whichever one of you kids becomes the water pillar can have this soup whenever you'd like."

Flashback 5

Urokodaki paused and sighed. "I'm going to miss each of you. After the final selection you guys must visit me. That's an order. I love you all, a lot." You all sluggishly uttered, "We love you too Mr. Urokodaki. And we promise to visit."

End of Flashbacks

Once your realized that you hadn't visited Urokodaki like you promised, you couldn't help but cry. Tears streamed down your face like a river, and the only other person who you knew felt the same was Tomioka.