Chapter 5, Rules

Arriving at the secret mansion.

You asked, "Do you really think they're going to like me, Tengen?" He nodded, "I already told you they're going to love you. You should just be worried what Kagaya thinks." You anxiously asked, "Why'd you say it like that? Is Mr. Ubuyashiki a mean guy?" Tengen shook his head, "Not at all. Don't sweat it, y/n. And can you please not act so nervous?" You ignored his request and asked, "Are we there yet?" You two rounded a corner to reveal the most beautiful scenery you've ever witnessed. There was flourishing flowers and trees, and crystal clear pond with hundreds of koi fish.

After taking the setting, you immediately shifted your eyes to the ground, not being able to look at anyone without breaking into a sweat. You stomach twisted and turned, and your hands became clammy. You shuffled your feet around in the pebbles you were standing on. Tengen grabbed your arm and stated, "Eyes up, and I'm taking you to say hello to Mr. Ubuyashiki." You obeyed his command and looked upwards, just not directly at anyone. You walked alongside Tengen and inside to an open, large mansion. The mansion was fairly empty, maybe a few decorations and artifacts scattered, but other then that there wasn't much.

Sitting at the back of the mansion was a man with shoulder length black hair. He was sat with his back facing you, legs crisscross, and around a few candles. There were two girls next to him as well, and they looked similar to the ones at the final selection all those years ago. Kagaya must've heard you and Tengen walking, cause he turned his torso to where he could see the both of you. Uzui quickly got on his knee and bowed his head. You copied his movements and did the same. Mr. Ubuyashiki rose to his feet and said, "Hello my children. You may stand." You slowly stood up straight next to Tengen, and made eye contact with Kagaya.

There was something wrong with his face. Was he ill? Whatever it was, it didn't scare you. His eyes were a very pretty color, and his soft smile was comforting. You assumed he was blind because of his illness. Tengen looked as if he were about to say something, but his master spoke first. Kagaya questioned, "Which one of my children do I have here?" His daughter replied, "Tengen Uzui, and another girl apart of the Demon Slayer Corp." Ubuyashiki stuck out his hand and asked, "Have we met before?" You took his hand and shook your head, "No, we haven't. I'm y/n l/n." His beam grew wider as he stated, "It's a pleasure to meet you y/n. What brings you and Uzui here today?" Tengen said, "You mentioned in the last pillar meeting that you'd like to look at new recruits, and so I brought one in for you. Currently y/n is rank Kinoto, and after close consideration I determined that she lives up to both of our high standards, and I'd appreciate if you took a look at her abilities and all she can do."

You were dumbfounded at the audacity Tengen has. What abilities is he talking about? Being able to sit at a bar and drink? Kagaya exclaimed, "Wonderful! I'm eager to introduce you to the rest of the pillars. Fortunately they're all here, just back from their missions." He started to walk out of the mansion, and out a different way you came in. He asked, "May the two of you take a seat at this table? Let me go obtain the other pillars." You smiled, "Thank you sir." As Kagaya walked away with who you assumed to be his daughters, you sat down in a wooden chair. Tengen sat next to you and whispered, "Just be yourself please. Don't be nervous."

You nodded in agreement but you were sweating like before. Tengen started to speak again, but it sounded like gibberish to you. You were drowning in your own thoughts and hypothetical theories on what could happen, and what they're all going to think of you. Your thoughts were interrupted by the sound of someone pulling out a chair across from you and sitting. As you locked eyes with this person, you immediately knew who it was. It was Giyuu. His eyes widened and his face became expressionless. You noticed that he did the same thing with his kimono that you did with yours. Half of it was Sabito's.