Chapter I: Leader

~15 years ago~

A young Rainer Sparta is walking a deserted road. Abandoned vehicles are scattered everywhere. Rainer passes a group of cars positioned in a way that looks like people have been living in the area. He scavenges through the area thinking it has been abandoned. As he rummages through items left beside the cars he hears a faint voice. It says, "help me...please."

Instantly Rainer's eyes dart in the direction of the voice. He sees a young woman inside one of the cars. She's a little bruised up. Rainer rushes to the woman and notices she needs water. He also notices she is chained to the car door. Rainer pulls out a machete and hacks off the chains.

He gives her the water he has from his canteen. After she takes the drink she looked like she desperately needed. She tells Rainer, "They're gonna come back. Please help them. There's more than me out there. Rainer says, "where are they?" The woman tells Rainer they're about a mile west. He says to the woman, "Show me."

As the two begin to head out west Rainer asks the woman what her name was. She replies, "I'm Grace, Grace Martinez...You?"

Rainer tells her, "I'm Rainer Sparta."

The woman's eyes widen as she hears his name and replies, "OH my! The Rainer Sparta! The one who has a dozen of the empress's lieutenants under his belt!? People have said your strength and leadership are equal to Elias Caine and Bernard Sullivan's."

Rainer smirks and says, "It wasn't a dozen. More like 20. And no I don't think I'm like either Elias or Barney. I'm my own thing." Grace smiles and says, "I mean what luck for us to run into not only one of the best heroes of the war but my personal favorite! They called you the lone wolf don't they?" Rainer replies in a dull tone, "Yes..." Grace then asks, "If you always travel alone then how and where do you get all that gear you have? You must have friends or something!"

Rainer replies in a stoic matter by saying, "They were all taken from the lieutenants I've beaten." Grace says, "Woooow! And that's all Caine tech right!?" Rainer answers saying, "Yes!" Then pulls Grace down beside him. They both hide behind an abandoned car. He tells her, "They're right over there. Now be quiet!" Grace replies, " I know." Then Rainer hears a gun click behind his back. The look in Rainer's eyes now changes as he's told to approach what he thought were Grace's captors.

As he approaches the crew of 5 men, Grace yells toward them saying, "Hey guys look who I found!" The men all yell, "Whooooo! Hooo! Will ya look at that! Fancy gear and weapons! Christmas came early boys!" One of the men yells in another direction saying, " Hey Eddie! Looks like Grace's plan worked! Come here! We caught a big fish! "

A figure approaches dragging a bloody and beaten body. He smiles and says, "good job baby girl!" She replies with a smile and says, "Thank you, Edward."

Edward approaches Rainer and says, "Take the armor off buddy!" Rainer looks to the other men with Edward. There are frightened women on the ground by them. All the captive men have been beaten to a bloody pulp. Some look dead.

Rainer replies, "Can't do that.." Edward replies, "Do it or you F#CKIN die!" Grace adds to the threats by saying, "This ain't no damn regular gun. This thing will pierce right through your armor with a laser hotter than lava!"

Rainer takes another look at the beaten men on the ground. He sees a few of them were soldiers of war. His face contorts in anger as he motions his hands up and pulls off his gauntlet.

Edward smiles and says, "Yess! Good boy haha!" Rainer motions to drop the piece of armor and then instantly throws it in Edward's face. Shocked at the attack Grace and the rest of the crew gasp. Then before Grace can pull the trigger Rainer activates his force field tech cutting off Grace's forearm that was holding the gun. Instantly her gasps are followed by screams of pain.