Chapter XXIV: Old School

As Erik and Rainer argue, a group of pirate nation citizens circle them both. Maxwell now outside of his suit sees this and tells himself, "Oh no! They noticed that's Rainer!"

Before he can go between Rainer and Erik. Bernard breaks through the crowd before Maxwell. He's screaming, " CALM DOWN! I understand what's going on here. But can't you see we have a bigger fight on our hands!?"

Then the entire landscape goes quiet as they hear a soft but powerful voice say, "A bigger fight that your side started. A bigger fight that we did not want to be a part of." The person saying this steps out and reveals herself to be Luna. She stands tall before Erik, Bernard, and Rainer. She points to Bernard saying, "I remember you. When we used to live with that electric-powered boy's people. They used to sing your praises for years. Then you disappeared. We were told you would come back, but you never did! You were my son's hero! You were a lot of our heroes! Why have you decided only to appear now!? Where have you been? And why should we spare this soldier when many of our own have died just from trying to make a living?!"

A few citizens calm down as they look and wait for the handle-bared mustached man's reply. Then a few of the older fighting men can be heard saying, "Is that him?!" another saying, "Wait! Sullivan!?" the next, "Yes! It is!"

Until the entire crowd notices, and agrees. Yes. This is the Legendary Hero, Bernard Sullivan. As the citizens are caught in awe. Bernard Sullivan begins to reply. And the citizens listen. He says to Luna, "During the final battle that freed us from Adira's grip. The healing properties of the waters I drank for my eternal youth have eroded. Despite my youthful appearance, I've felt the weight of damage from every battle since then. That's why I've disappeared for those years. It was to look for a way to reignite the healing properties in my DNA. I returned to where I drank those waters to find a way to repair my DNA. Sadly I haven't even scratched the surface. Just based on that. I will say it feels like I've made the wrong decision. I admit, it was foolish of me to believe the council wouldn't abandon us. Perhaps it was selfishness to think I could control my destiny for this long as well. Maybe it was time to face it and age gracefully and let father time or the nature of battle take me out. Maybe it was fear of dying with regret. And I was using the excuse of protecting my loved ones to the best of my abilities as a crutch to hide my selfishness from even myself. But I will tell you this mam. From what I've seen in this battle today, despite all your losses you've all collectively suffered. We've found a small victory in this moment with teamwork being a key. So I know despite me leaving. I did not leave the entire population of this planet in less capable hands. You all are warriors that will fight for your right to live peaceful lives. I just wish the entire population could find a way to work together. I stand before you humbly admitting I am not in my best shape. And I'm going to need all the help I can get. That's because the leader of this battle is a powerful one. I've seen the strength of the War Lord's greatest creation up front myself. In my opinion. Bickering about the past when our present has a deadly foe on our doorstep would be unwise if we all have hope for a brighter future."

Sullivan bows his head before Luna and Erik. The hero continues saying, "Please let us see this battle through. I promise you the end of this will lead to better days. And I'll be at the front lines with whoever facing whatever consequences that come to make sure those days are seen."

Erik contemplates the words that were said but Luna makes the decision which eventually even King Erik accepts. Luna tells the old hero, " I believe most of your words to be true. But I refuse to accept one thing."

Both Erik and Bernard look and wonder what Luna will say. She tells Bernard, "I believe you weren't selfish. From the stories I've heard, and what I've witnessed. I see that you are a person who tries anything possible to keep the good fight up. You carry a burden the common man doesn't. That burden is your ability to adapt as a protector. Your strength alone can lead and inspire others to fight alongside you. Hell, we've seen it just now. But it isn't your strength to lead that burdened you with the task of restoring your healing abilities. It's your knowledge. You know what the consequences of war are when people choose it. I see the urgency on your face right now. It's the same look my son had when he had to protect his siblings from Adira's surviving army. He even tried to save them and forgive the soldiers for threatening to shoot his little brother and sister. Could you believe that? He's probably got that same look of concern and panic on his face right now while he's locked in battle against those evil golden droids and that monstrous hawk droid. I can see him now protecting his comrades while his safety isn't his main concern. He feels it is his duty to protect his fellow man. Same as you once said."