Chapter 30

Thanks for waiting patiently. I've been busy with work so didn't get much time to sit and write long fics. Besides, we are nearing the end and I'm still figuring what I want to do with this story and which direction I want this to go. So upcoming updates will be a bit delayed as I slowly write it. Don't worry. I don't abandon my stories. I always finish them though I take time to figure them out. Happy reading!

***

"So you're telling me that you just lured him to the warehouse and packed him into a sack before throwing him into the car's trunk?" Jimin asked with wide eyes. "Really? I thought you would put a gun to his temple, cuff him and do all those jazz." He waved his hands around frantically, speaking breathlessly. "And what about his men? How did you even manage this? And you did this all while I was sleeping? I didn't even realize you left!"

Jungkook laughed, cupping his face with both hands to kiss the tip of his button nose. "That's exactly how it went, sweetheart. Your mate is capable of doing things worse than this." He put a hand around his shoulder and steered him to the patio where they had steaming dinner laid out in the backdrop of the garden. "You gave me something special, and I wanted to prove myself worthy of you."

Jimin's omega preened inside him, puffing its chest. Heat rushed to his cheeks. Alpha is so thoughtful, it mused.

"You already proved enough." He pouted with a soft punch to his ribs. "Tell me more," the omega whined.

Jungkook pulled the chair for him to sit before taking his seat in front of him. "We had snipers on the roof. They took out his men when he stepped inside the warehouse while my men inside took out the rest of the men."

"Oh." Jimin cocked his head to the side. "Sounds too easy."

"It was," Jungkook agreed. "Minhyuk didn't see it coming, and we had the element of surprise. Unfortunately, he was greedy and didn't think about the possible consequences before jumping at the opportunity." He leaned back to cross his legs at the knee. "When you're in this line of business, the first rule is not to trust anyone or anything around you. Suspect even your shadow. Ask questions, observe and watch every step." He gestured for Jimin to eat.

Jimin was too excited to focus on the food, but he took a bite nonetheless, gaze focused on his alpha.

Jungkook elegantly scooped the pasta, chewing it and washing it with white wine. "Minhyuk was a lowly thief before joining a gang. Becoming the head of Black Mambas was pure luck. He was at the right place at the right time."

Jimin continued to eat, but his gaze was glued to Jungkook's face. "So he wasn't that powerful?"

His alpha shook his head with a laugh. "He liked to believe he was, but in our world, power and respect are earned. He was nothing more than a mushroom sprouted after a day's rain. He took over the gang after the boss was killed in an attack. The others followed because they didn't know where to go, and Minhyuk had risen to become an underboss with some lackeys by his side when it happened. So he was somewhat in a respectable hierarchy within the gang."

Jimin drank his water and wiped his mouth. "I don't know how these things work. Taehyungie never spoke about these things."

Jungkook hummed. "We are born into this, Jimin. Once you come in, there is no way out. Our families have been in this for generations, and we are taught as soon as we can talk and walk. It's in our blood. So a rookie like Minhyuk, no matter how cunning and manipulative he is, stands no chance against us."

"Oh."

"Recently, he came into some money. We heard he found his old boss's safe and managed to access his money. The sudden wealth made him feel invincible, and he pretended that he rose to sit equally at a table with us," Jungkook scoffed. "Things just don't work that way, Jimin-ssi. Just because one is a leader doesn't mean he is capable of the leadership."