Chapter 38 🔞

Goodbyes were hard but inevitable. It was also unavoidable. Some were temporary, but some lasted forever. Forever goodbyes were harder. It had to be done, though.

Jimin never knew his brother personally, but they shared a bond that was sacred and spent nine months in their mother's womb. The loss was felt deeply. It was as if he had lost a piece of himself. Ignorance was indeed bliss. However, his brother deserved a final goodbye, and he needed to know that he was loved and would be missed dearly.

He somehow managed to convince his mother to attend the funeral. She didn't think she could see him again, and he said she didn't have to. So they brought her only to his concealed casket to give her final blessings to pass to the afterlife.

Taehyung was by his side as always and this time they were flanked by their two older brothers Namjoon and Seokjin. Jimin's wolf relished the gentle assurance and protectiveness radiating from their wolves. It had always been just Taehyung and him.

Not anymore.

Their brothers and the pack now stood with them. Every day was filled with assurance, and Jimin continued to relax a bit more.

The security was tight that day. The sky was gloomy, with dark clouds hovering above their heads as they huddled around the neatly dug grave. His mother's soft sniffles filled the space. Jimin's throat was tight and chest heavy.

Together, they held the funeral service in honor of his brother and said their goodbyes. His mother cried the entire time, comforted by his father. After that, it was a private ceremony with only Jungkook, his dad, Hoseok, and Yoongi in attendance, apart from the Kim family.

They waited until the wooden casket was lowered to the ground and it disappeared from their view. Jungkook approached him once it was all over. Jimin walked into his open arms, seeking comfort, which was immediately granted to him.

"Thank you," Jimin whispered. "Thank you for everything."

Jungkook kissed his temple. "It's my duty, love."

The omega nodded tiredly, ready to call it a day. "Take me home."

And Jungkook did. Jimin caught his brother's gaze. Namjoon and Seokjin nodded at him with a soft smiles. They were already assisting their parents toward the car. He returned the smile, gaze flicking once again to their brother's grave.

The first drop of rain fell when he was a few feet away from their car. Jimin exhaled, relishing the distant scent of petrichor rising from the soil.

Rain was safe. That scent stood for assurance and protection.

His gaze flicked to Yoongi, who was leading Taehyung to a different car, and he smiled. Who could have thought there was an alpha who smelled like rain? The only scent that could calm Taehyung apart from his own. Fate definitely had a mysterious way of doing things.

When he climbed inside the car after a while, he closed his eyes, praying life stopped being cruel to him and his family for once and wishing the peace in his heart lasted longer. The kiss left by the alpha on the side of his head sounded like a silent promise.

***

A few weeks later...

Jimin giggled when Jungkook suddenly began to drag him through the maze in their garden. He covered his mouth with a hand as he ran after the alpha. He should have guessed the alpha would do something when he suddenly announced the weather was nice to take a walk in the garden. If that wasn't enough, he had invited Taehyung too.

Just like the old times, he had said.

They were taking a stroll, admiring the blooming flowers, when suddenly Jungkook pulled him away. Taehyung was talking about something animatedly, walking a few feet ahead of them before they disappeared into the maze.