Chapter 34

Jimin sat in the middle of the bed with another storm brewing in his mind. His alpha seemed to sense his turmoil but waited patiently for him to talk.

"If money was what they wanted, Mom and dad would have given them more, wouldn't they?" he asked wistfully as he watched Jungkook remove his socks one by one with great care.

Jungkook was still in his gray suit from that morning. He had ditched his jacket and pushed the sleeves of his black shirt to his elbows. The tattoos on his arms were mesmerizing to watch. It was such a stark contrast to his porcelain skin.

"They would have given everything." Jungkook's voice was gentle as ever. "Dad would have added more if that weren't enough." He climbed on the bed to slowly crawl over Jimin and cupped his face. "He would have given up all our assets for you, Jimin."

A lone tear slid down his cheeks. "It hurts, Jungkook," he confessed. "I grew up thinking my parents didn't want me." His voice cracked. "I was so scared. Before Taehyung came into my life, I was hiding like a mouse," he sniffled. "He made my days better."

Jungkook caressed his cheek.

"I've been putting on a brave front, but I can't help wondering how my life would have been if they didn't take me away," Jimin admitted. "I never knew the warmth of a mother's nest. I thought I was dying when I had my first heat." A soft sob escaped him.

Jungkook cursed under his breath and pulled him to his chest. Jimin's cheeks were squished, but the onslaught of potent sandalwood was more than welcome.

"If not for them, we could have met sooner."

"Mhmm..." Jungkook pulled back. He wiped his cheeks. "Imagine me sneaking into your den all the time to play. Of course, I'd have refused to leave Kim's family den and would have to be forcefully removed then."

Jimin giggled. "It'd have been fun to watch. I doubt mom would remove you forcefully. She adores you."

Jungkook bumped their noses. "How convenient. Taehyung would have to kick my butt for stealing his brother's attention all the time. Uncle Daehyun would tell me it's time for bed, but Aunt Areum would ask him to let me stay for a little bit. No one could resist my puppy eyes when I was little. So yeah, I'd end up sharing a room with Taehyung."

"Yeah?" Jimin fell back against the pillows, and Jungkook followed.

"Yeah." Their breaths mingled, and Jimin's heart raced for a different reason. "Imagine... We would be inseparable—always playing together. Who knows, I might have even signed up for a dance class so I could spend time with you?"

"You would?" Jimin smiled.

Jungkook brushed their lips. "Yep, even if I absolutely loathed dancing at that age. I'd enroll in an art class, self-defense or whatever you were interested in."

"Mhmm..." He circled his arms around the alpha's neck. "Tell me more, alpha. What would it be like if we met earlier?"

"Hmm... let me think." Jungkook balanced his weight on his elbow and lay on him. Jimin welcomed the warmth and the press of hard muscles against his body. "At thirteen, my dad would have sent me to the boarding school as it was a custom, and by default, I'd have dragged Taehyung with me."

Jimin gazed into his alpha's sparkling eyes. Mischief danced in them. "And?"

"Taehyung would have had no choice but to accompany me since he is an alpha and also made a promise when we were young. But they'd keep you here because you are the apple of their eyes and the only precious omega of the family. So they'd have to protect the treasure."

Jimin giggled again. "Mhmm..."

"Once I left, you'd miss me so much and would have written me letters."