-chapter twenty two-

~chapter 22~

Daniel's P.O.V // their house // the following day

My first day of school was actually pretty shitty. Zach, as I've said it before, was a complete asswhole and if that wasn't enough, three juniors chased me around, something that made me terrified. Keeping this in mind, I couldn't believe when Zach had the audacity of walking into my room as if he didn't do anything wrong and as if our lives were perfect. I wasn't proud of what I've told him, but I don't hold any regrets, after all, he did hurt me a lot.

Zach's P.O.V

I know that what I did isn't correct, but I did it to protect him... or maybe me. After all the previous bullying from my childhood, I couldn't risk going through all of that again, so I took this "rebel look" as my armor at school. The downside of this, is that the whole school board sort of hates me and is full of prejudice against me all because I'm used to wearing darker clothes and am not someone that smiles at everyone and at everything... or at least, not there. If the school finds out he's related to me, I just know they are going to treat Daniel or even I differently and so do the students, which can lead both of us to a much bigger problem than the present one.

I kept reflecting on this conflict for a very long time and I only realized that when I felt someone touch my arm trying to wake me up for dinner. Once I looked at the clock I saw that I had been out for at least 3 hours which is a lot for me. Corbyn gave me a warm smile once he saw I was up... that was enough for me to conclude that he didn't know anything about today and it made me feel sick.
"Dinner's on the table, honey. Let 's go eat." He told me.
"I'm not hungry, daddy." I said tucking myself under the covers.

"Z, I'm sorry, but you have to eat something, you already didn't eat breakfast baby."
"Please, dad, I'm really tired."
"No, Zach, I'm sorry, but you have to come downstairs and eat a little bit at the very least, let's make things easier for us, okay? Just get up and follow me to the kitchen." He told me politely, but more sternly this time.
"Do I really have too?" I asked him with my best puppy eyes.
"Yes, you can come back to your room right after dinner if you fancy your bed so much." He joked as he extended his hands in front of me. I still didn't budge, which made him frown and pretend to leave the room, when all of sudden he came back and attacked me with tickles... the only thing that could wake me up in the state I was in. Once I stopped struggling to breathe, he picked me up bridal style and carried me downstairs running, us both laughing our faces off. Reckless? Yes. A core memory I will always carry with me? Also yes.

Once we got to the table, he put me down and we were both welcomed with confused faces, but that just made us laugh even more. I took my usual seat, which is next to Daniel and in front of Corbyn. Dad and Daniel had already started eating and my plate was already made for me. I couldn't hold back a smile when I noticed the smiley face made with peas on top of my mashed potatoes. I looked up and silently thanked my dad (Corbyn) who smiled at me, but signed for me to thank my other dad instead, surprising me. "Thank you." I thanked him shyly.
"No problem, pumpkin." He replied, making me feel so in ecstasy that all of my problems had vanished and all of my insecurities around my body in that split second disappeared. I couldn't believe it, I had eaten all of my food, had seconds, and wasn't feeling the minimum guilt.

After dinner, I wasn't tired at all, opposite of Daniel and Corbyn, who both headed upstairs to get ready for the next day while Jonah would clean everything downstairs. I decided to go up to my room and journal for a little bit and then maybe facetime Jack, but first I had something to do.

"Uh... dad." I called him, sitting in one of the stools on the kitchen counter.
"Yes." He replied me.
"Thank you for the plate today... you don't know how much it meant... you truly don't. Thanks for taking a little bit more of your time and doing it." I said truthfully as I messed with my hands.
"Oh... why?"
Cause for the first time I 've felt like you cared for me. "Long story short: this simple thing and rather childish to most teenagers out there, literally turned one of the worst days of my life into a good one. So, thank you." I said softly as I kept looking down, once I finished speaking I was going to just go to my room, but something said to me that I should go ahead and hug him, so that's what I did. I felt so small compared to him and that's what made his hugs always feel so safe... too bad I don't get to have them often. I don't deserve it.
"As I've said, it wasn't a problem and about your bad day, you know we've got time, huh?" Dad comforted me surprisingly softly and I rested my head in his chest.
"Good to know... but, I don't think I'm ready for that, if you know what I mean."
"No, I don't, Pumpkin, but I respect your choice." Jonah finished looking me in the eye.
"Thank you." And with that I left to my room waiting for what tomorrow held for me, too afraid that I might hurt Daniel even more, 'cause I know that even if this night was fantastic for me, I know that his night went completely different and that's not okay.

-word count: 1022-

PLS IF YOU CAN TAKE 5MIN AND REPLY TO THESE QUESTIONS, IT WOULD MEAN THE WORLD TO ME!

What do you think it will happen next? 

There's something you'd like to see in the story?

Will Zach or Daniel tell their parents about their situation at school?

Will Zach do something with Daniel's bullies?