SS: A Forever Goodbye? (P-2)

The evening time felt warm and calming as the slanting rays of the setting sun gave a warm orange tinge to the sky and narrow rays hitting the temple of the Roy Choudhary mansion through the gaps between the curtains. There she was settled near the pond ginning  the cotton ball and spinning it between her tiny palms making thin threads out of it for lighting the lamp near the idol. Her geography text book was wide open in front of her kept on the brim of the pond. 

That evening, she did the Sandhya Aarti all alone as her Kaka Sasurji wasn't present, her Sampoorna maa was unable make it due to the very reason and rest of the family members are never bother to even enter the place. Koyili and Bihari insisted her to rest and went to prepare the dinner.

Directly from the factory, Binoy and Somnath was off to Rangoon for a business trip and were supposed to be back within a week. Although they didn't wanted to leave Bondita alone but as soon as Bihari informed him about Anirudh's arrival, he peacefully proceeded with his trip. If it wouldn't had been urgent, he would have not left without meeting and giving an earful to his son. 

Batuk was in his room busy doing his homework. He was way too happy hearing about his dada's arrival. He has already given the updates about the lectures and syllabus that was going on since she has missed a lot of classes due to her shifted focus on being a good wife. 

So she made herself busy with the studies and responsibilities of bahu. Her eyes were trying to focus on the words while her tiny alta cladded hands were busy spinning the cotton. Suddenly she felt someting soft slipping down from her head to her cheeks and her arms. Rose petels? She looked up only to find her Pati Babu who just showered the rose petels over her head with a charming smile on his face. He sat opposite to her, the textbook still open in between them. 

"Aap gussa hai mujhse abhi bhi?" she asked gloomily. "Bhala main apni patni se gussa reh sakta hu kya?" He said holding her right hand keeping the cotton aside. "Phir achanak yu baat kiye bina kyu chale gaye? Sasurji aur Somnath dada se bhi mile bina." She asked with a pout yet with concern.

He didn't reply her instead cupped her face and softly said "Achi patniyaan yu itne sawaal nahi karti apne pati se." She felt a pang in her heart as she heard this. But why? Shouldn't she be happy that atleast she's addressing her as wife. Her lips were quevering to question him back about this. Why won't she? She has always been praised for this and he was proud of her due her this nature.

"Par..." before she could continue, he placed his finger on her lips "pyaar ki bhaasha samajh nahi aati na tumhe Bondita?" Although he had a smile or his face but he sounded irritated. She felt something off with him but washing away all unwanted thoughts, she held her ears and said "Saari" with a puppy eyes. He sighed and looked away leaving her hands and in a cue pushing away her textbook into the water. 

"Pati Babu! Meri kitaab!" He turnred to look back and found the heavy book floating on water partially but its maximum part was drown inside. "Oh Sorry" but he doesn't seemed to be. Earlier he would have directly jumped into the water to get the book. Bondita had tears in her eyes but he quickly wiped them off and said "Bondita, koi baat, main nayi wali laa dunga kal." She looked up to look at him with disbelief. When did he started taking things, that too related to books and studies so casually?

No. She should be optimistic. Maybe he is trying to change himself. She only wanted him to focus more on her rather than her studies. She wanted him to be her Pati Babu more than being her Shikshak Babu. Just as the village ladies and society has filled her ears. He is focusing himself to become her good husband. Controlling himself from scolding her. She should also focus on becoming a good wife. She remembered what the ladies said.

"Jab wo waapis aa jaayenge, toh aap bhi koi mauka mat chhodiyega unki seva karne mein."

"Aakhir ek patni ke liye pati aur pati ki seva se bhadhkar thodi na hai kuch."