Bravery and Battles

Abhimanyu wanted to placate the weeping girl, tell her everything would be alright, wipe those tears off her pale face, but he knew he had to get Raghavendra medical attention as soon as possible. He glanced at her one last time, before running behind the entourage. The assassins would definitely make a move if they knew that Raghavendra is being taken out of the palace.

" Yuvraj, Badi Maharani-sa has instructed all servants and helpers to go to the throne room. That would allow us to get away smoothly. But we can't go through the main entrances, for I'm afraid that would be too obvious." Man Singh , his subordinate , informed him. He was a tall and swarthy man in his late forties. " His Majesty is on his way here , but I'm not sure where we can get the chopper to land."

" That's fine. I remember there used to be an old secret passage through the kitchens. It opens to the barren sands behind Jai Mahal. Send the men to secure the place." Abhimanyu instructed, " Once we get Raghav Kaka out of here, I'll come back and find the traitor."

" You won't accompany us, Yuvraj?" Man Singh asked him, perplexed.

 Abhimanyu took a long, deep breath. He can't just leave her like that. Something about those limpid hazel eyes brimming with tears wouldn't let him.

Man Singh 's phone rang , and he cursed inwardly, thinking it was probably his wife ( She did have the knack of calling him on the most unsuitable times and nagging him to come home.) but it was Zorawar – Raghavendra's right hand man.

" Man Singh, Princess Rivannah claimed that there were two assassins locked up in her room. She did it herself  and we went to check, hoping that we'd find one alive. But the door was already open – the work of an insider, I reckon."

" There's a betrayer in the servant ranks. I knew that, Zoravar." Man Singh hissed.

" Princess Rivannah says she can identify the betrayer." Zoravar's haughty voice lowered, as if he was uncertain, " Something about chocolate chip ice cream."

" Are you sure she isn't in trauma?" Man Singh rolled his eyes.He had much important things to worry about. His Majesty's chopper would be out any minute , and his men were yet to secure the parameter of their exit place. Zorawar was just wasting his precious time – like he always does.

" Don't you dare speak of her that way!" Zorawar protested, defending the Princess.

" We can talk about this later.Come to the kitchens , Zorawar. They're almost ready to evacuate His Highness." Man Singh hung up.

He joined Abhimanyu in inspecting their escape route. The tunnel was hid behind a cold storage room. It was dark and dingy with lack of use. Man Singh pulled out a torch ( One has to be ready for everything in his field) and led the way for his lord. Abhimanyu was abnormally quiet and in the dark tunnel only the sound of their footsteps echoed.

" Yuvraaj, what we will do about the Princess?" Man Singh asked, for the conversation earlier had reminded him , " She was the target of the attack , too."

" What makes you say that?" Abhimanyu looked up at surprise.

" There were assassins in her room. They knew where she would be at that time. This was a well thought out plan. Kill the future crown prince and then his only heir."

Man Singh pitied the young girl. She had absolutely no role in the tussles of brothers in their fight for throne . Then he added, " Zorawar says that the Princess will be able to tell who the betrayer is. I doubt she saw his face or can recognise his voice, but maybe she suspects someone."

" I wouldn't underestimate her." Abhimanyu said cryptically, a slow smile creeping to his handsome and stoic face.

He had watched her injure a man like brave warrior, giving him enough time gap to take a shot at the others. Her interference had been tremendously helpful in saving her father's life.He felt a strange amity with her, because he'd been forced to grow up too.