Riva and Vikram

Vikram went back to his room after his friends had left. Sher Khan followed him keenly. He fell back on his bed, thinking about a certain person.

The way she was laughing at Sher Khan while petting him, stirred something in his cold heart.Her delicate laughter echoed in his ears. She was enthralling and mysterious at the same time.

The German shepherd nuzzled against his arm, and Vikram smiled, " You like her too, don't you?"

                                                                                                *

The next few days, the club was busy making preparations for the Debate competition. Since Riva was the newest member, she helped Vikram with coordinating the activities. They spent a lot of time arguing or teasing one another. 

" Your 'B' looks crooked." Vikram observed keenly.

Riva stopped painting the poster and looked up at him. The sunlight was directly falling on her face and she frowned. Her hazel eyes were ablaze in the sunlight, to show golden amber. Vikram adjusted his position so his shadow would cover her, and the sun wouldn't make her uncomfortable.

" In that case, I'll make the rest of the alphabets crooked, too." Riva said while struggling to put away a lock of her hair, falling on her face, " Then it will look deliberate."

Vikram chuckled at her futile efforts. Her hands were splotched with the paint and some red colour had smudged on her pale cheeks. He leaned down tentatively and brushed aside the dark tendril, tucking it behind her ear. Riva's eyes were wide at the sudden gesture.

He was close, too close for her liking.

" You have a little something..." Vikram pointed to her left cheek. Riva wiped her cheek with the back of her hand nervously, smudging more colour on her skin.

Vikram laughed loudly at her childish antics. He took out a handkerchief from his pocket, and said, " Relax, I'll wipe it away for you."

" I can do that myself." Riva protested, but Vikram had already grabbed her shoulder to stop her for moving.

Her skin warmed up instantly as he gently rubbed away the colour. She could smell the expensive cologne on him. His fingers touch her cheek faintly, as if by accident. But Vikram's  beguiled eyes suggested it was not.

" Sorry to disturb whatever moment you're having." A throat cleared, and Riva whipped her eyes away from Vikram's hauntingly dark ones.

Maitreyi stood in front of them, hands in front of chest like she caught two teenagers making out, " But Aditi is looking for her bestie."

Riva was blushing furiously and she practically jumped up from the table. She dodged Maitreyi as she rushed out of the door.

" She's in the auditorium, by the way!" Maitreyi yelled behind her.

Vikram watched her leave longingly. Her skin was like smooth and soft under his touch, and her lips were parted into an 'O' like a tempting offer. If not for Maitreyi's interruption, would he act upon that urge...No, of course not. She was just a mystery, that's all.

A fascinating and unbelievably charming mystery.

                                                                                                             *

The night sky was dark and moonless, and Abhimanyu felt as if the grim clung to him. He stood at the window and stared at the desolate village near the old haveli.