Stumbles and Surprises

Badi Maharani-sa^

"Pack her bags , Amba." Badi Maharani-sa ordered, signalling  discreetly to Abhimanyu, who had been standing at the back for sometime.He tilted his head in brief thought and passed through the crowd swiftly.

" I am not going with you...!" Rivannah retorted threateningly and shrieked in mid sentence as a strong hand forced a sweet smelling rag over her mouth. 

She struggled fervently against Abhimanyu, who held her tighter with each effort. Her mind started becoming hazy as a silence swept over her thoughts.

"Shh... little one." Abhimanyu whispered into her ear , " You've fought long enough." Rivannah's hazel eyes held his for just a fleeting moment and then she gave in to sleep.

                                                                                   *

" I'm afraid Hukum is going to be furious when she wakes up." Amba said hesitantly.

They had got Rivannah in the car and laid her on the back seat of the white Mercedes.

Badi Maharani-sa halted her internal worries, and replied , " In a matter of life and death , what she feels or wants hardly matters. I'd rather have her safe than happy."

" How will we protect her in Bhawanigarh? Word will go out fast." Amba pointed out, doubtfully questioning her Lady's decision.

" If Rivannah had cooperated with us , things would've been easier." Badi Maharani-sa sighed , " Nevertheless, this isn't a matter of a few days or weeks. It's going to take months , even years to find out the enemy and protect Raghavendra. Until then it's my duty to keep her safe."

" But Hukum's promising." Amba praised, thinking about how cleverly Rivannah figured out the mole. Zorawar and Man Singh had dragged the man to their own interrogations before handing him to the police. They hadn't got a lot but it was a good start.

" So what?" Badi Maharani-sa shook her head," If she had been an obedient child, I could've given her a false identity. She's been abroad for three years and nobody knows her personally or remembers her face."

" You couldn't keep her close without rising suspicion."

" I wasn't thinking of keeping her close. I would've placed her under Abhimanyu's care.They could pretend that Rivannah was a distant relative or something. But no! That girl's stubborn and too proud for her own good!" Badi Maharani sa rolled her eyes, " I can't make her do anything!"

Like you, Amba said in her mind, but dare not utter a word.

                                                                                 *

Rivannah woke up in an unfamiliar room. The walls were white and there were archways with ivory elephants carved into them, curling their tusks in a royal fashion. She looked around and found murals painted in bright yellow on the walls. There was no doubt in her mind where she was. Bhawanigarh.

 Bhawanigarh