Anger and Schemes

Vikram sighed as he pulled over at the driveway. A dark blue Mercedes was standing in his usual spot. He hated it when his Dad's visitors parked in his spot.He released the seat belt, grabbed his phone from the dashboard, when something shiny caught his eye from under the seat.

Picking it up, he was surprised to see a gaudy blue watch.The design suggested it belonged to a woman, the leather straps were baby blue and the watch face was rimmed with tiny diamonds. A small crescent moon and minuscule stars decorated the dial. It was rather garish.

Vikram figured out it probably belonged to Riva, remembering she wore something similar. She had a terrible taste in watches. He'll tease her when he returns it tomorrow.

Securing the watch in his pocket, he went inside his home. The whole Ranawat family was sitting in the lavish living room. His infuriating step-mother, Gitanjali was chuckling, sitting beside an unimpressed Rajmata Nayantara.

" There you are, young man!" Digvijay said, fondly, " I've been waiting for you.We're having guest over."

" Is he one of your party members?" Vikram wondered, since his father was an extremely busy man.

" No, he's a relative. Nikhil is Gitanjali's nephew and he's staying with us for sometime." Digvijay explained briefly.

" He is a well known architect, and he's designing the new wing in our Palace!" Gitanjali added, proudly.

Vikram shared a small knowing smile with his grandmother. For the past one year, Gitanjali had worked arduously to gain a foothold in their home.But she could never fill the place of his mother.There wasn't anything noble or graceful about her, just the pettiness and arrogance of an ill-bred woman.

In terms of benevolence and righteousness, she was incomparable to his mother Chitrangada. It couldn't all be attributed to being noble-born, even Riva who had an unknown background, held herself more elegantly and befittingly.

Vikram excused himself and stalked the hallway leading to his room, in deep thought about his mother. He wished that his parents would reconcile. But it's been two years since their divorce and his hopes were dim. Marrying Gitanjali was his father's nail on the coffin. His mother hadn't visited India once after hearing the news.

" Vikram! Why did you leave so soon? Nikhil Bhaiya just came back from the loo!" Soha cried after him.

He refused to give her a glance and instructed the first servant he saw, "Make sure you put the blue Mercedes elsewhere. My car must be in its parking spot by evening."

" I'm talking to you!" Soha stood in front of him, hands on her hips threateningly.

" And I'm not interested," Vikram waved her off, " go back and be hospitable to your cousin."

" I won't budge from here until you accept me to the club!" Soha blocked the door to his room.

All the servants around them gulped in fear. They recognised the furious expression on Vikram's face.

" That's enough, Soha." A suave voice said fom behind them.

 A young man in his late twenties came to Soha, and patted on her shoulder. He was moderately tall and wiry, with a square face. He wore a maroon blazer and khaki pants.

" You shouldn't force our brother like that," the man said, and then smiled at Vikram, " I am Nikhil Sen. I apologise for Soha's stubborn behaviour. She has a habit of getting what she wants. Tenacity runs in our Sen blood."

Soha stepped aside wearing a hurt expression, as if she had been wronged instead. Vikram went past her, entering his safe haven. Before closing the gate on their face, he said :