Need and Care

Aditi was terrified, her hands trembling as she caught her friend.

She was looking all over for Rivannah after her dance performance.If the friendly janitor hadn't told her that he saw Rivannah coming to this classroom...

Her regal and indifferent friend was lying broken before her eyes.Her whole body was limp and feverish, and her forehead had a huge wound. Her hair was matted with blood and sweat. Her sari was torn in places and her knuckles were bruised. 

Aditi's heart plummeted in sheer anxiety, and she pulled out her phone. The tension overwhelmed her and she couldn't even think of what she was going to say. 

All words died on her frozen lips as the person picked the phone.

                                                                                                          *

Abhimanyu had never felt so helpless.

 He almost didn't want to believe what Aditi had stuttered over the call. Rivannah couldn't possibly be...how did this happen all of a sudden...?

But the truth mocked him in his heart.

Something terrible happened and he wasn't there to protect her.

 Abhimanyu hurried out of the noisy auditorium, his mind in chaos. He didn't care for his image, or what other people would think. He wouldn't even come to this festival, if it weren't for Rivannah. He strode against the corridors in anger and worry. Man Singh rushed behind him, barely able to match his pace.

" Your Highness, you can't be seen with her!" Man Singh tried to reason, " There are too many people around! Please trust this lowly servant, and let me handle it!"

" Don't stop me, old man." Abhimanyu said intently. 

Man Singh took a step back. 

He had been with Abhimanyu since the day he was born, but he had never seen such anger blazing in his young lord's cold eyes. 

" The media is here." He tried one last time, " If they caught you with Rivannah, they'll make a web of lies and rumours about your character! The opposing party is hunting for your weaknesses, and they wouldn't hesitate to use it against you!" 

Abhimanyu didn't even glance or respond to his words. His eyes were hard like steel and his steps didn't even falter. Man Singh could only suppress his worries and doubts and follow him obediently. 

 Abhimanyu's determination was unyielding.He didn't care for the world and its limitations.His heart was pounding against his chest, and his mind was filled with desperation he'd never felt before. He needed to see her. He needed to make sure she was okay. And if she wasn't....

His entire body froze when he entered the classroom. His mind became blank.He saw the blue sari she was wearing. He saw Aditi crying and shaking Rivannah, begging her to wake up. 

That moment felt unreal to him. 

"Y-Your highness!" Aditi cried, desperately," What's wrong with h-her? Why isn't she opening h-her eyes?"

Abhimanyu fell to his knees and  held her against his chest, gently tucking her hair away from her wound. He pulled out his handkerchief and pressed it against the gushing blood. Riva whimpered faintly in her stupor but remained unconscious.

" T-take him a-away." Rivannah whispered faintly. 

Abhimanyu scowled at her words. She subconsciously rejected his help. Why was it so difficult for her to rely on him? But the pained expression on her beautiful face felt like a punch on his guts.