Envy and Honour

What is the most enviable thing in the world?

 Surely not beauty -  there are too many people famous for their beauty. Not money either, because there's always someone with more. 

Soha didn't envy money or looks, because she had both since childhood. Her mother was a successful actress. People envied her for her beauty and lavish lifestyle. But it wasn't enough. It never seemed enough. She didn't have power and her identity wasn't influential. Nobody feared her name and her title. 

Soha decided that power must be the most enviable thing of all.

When she became the Princess of Prathampura, the desire was fulfilled. Pride coursed through her veins and she had finally risen away from the lowly commoners. Beauty can fade and wilt, but the power of her title? It will remain with her until she dies. 

She was a Princess!

How could she tolerate a lowly girl from middle class background speak so harshly towards her and get away with it? Soha clenched her jaw in annoyance. Nobody dared to speak to her that way, she commanded utmost respect and fear!

 She wouldn't not let the girl's insults go unanswered. 

Soha would bring that girl to her knees and beg for forgiveness.

" What's wrong, Soha? You look a little tensed?" Riddha, her friend, asked her uncertainly.

" I want to get rid of a pesky insect." Soha gritted out, " And make it as humiliating as possible." 

" Woah." Riddha blinked in confusion, " Who would dare to offend you?" 

Soha sneered as she crossed her arms. 

The girl she hated was right in front of her, on the stage, giving the most boring debate possible. Even though her words flowed like water, Soha had no idea what she was talking about. And her blue sari was looking hideous- no that was an understatement, it was downright horrendous. Her voice was screechy and gruff, like nails on a chalkboard.

Soha was glad when the girl finally stopped , even the crowd cheered and clapped loudly as she sat back with her teammates. Perhaps they all shared Soha's sentiments that the girl was a pain to their ears. 

" What's the name of that ugly looking girl who spoke just now?" Soha asked.

" Oh, the new girl? Riva, I think." Riddha shrugged, " Riva Rathi." 

"  Riva?" Soha tested her name and disliked it.She turned to her loyal friend and whispered in her ear, " I want you to do something."

                                                                                             *

Riva went to the backstage when her event was over. They wouldn't tell the results until the last, and she wasn't exactly patient. She thought she covered all the points and summed it up quite nicely. The  college against them was struggling to counter their statements. 

However she was stuck with the two people she didn't want to be stuck with. 

" You weren't as bad as I originally thought." Vikram told her considerately.

" Really?" Riva cocked her head, " Sadly, you didn't meet my expectations."

" Oh, burn." Maitreyi hooted from behind them, " What do you have to say, Your Highness?"

" That I've been the best speaker for the last three years." Vikram said, haughtily, " And I'm going to be undefeated until I graduate."

" Stop daydreaming." Riva mumbled under her breath.