Young and Reckless

" It's an incredibly selfish and unreasonable desire." Vikram said unsurely, " But sometimes I just envy my friends. They can be whoever they want, free from traditions and rules. Me? I always have to be the arrogant, indifferent and regal Crown Prince. I have to stand behind my father as his successor even though I loathe him for what he did to Mom.  Any love or respect I felt for him is long dead."

Riva bowed her head in deep thought. 

Her love and devotion for her father had been unconditional and irrevocable, until she saw Madhopur and the misery of its villagers. But her kind, righteous and affectionate father had such done horrendous deeds for his own hunger for power. She wanted to talk to him desperately and demand the reasons for his immoral actions.

" Shouldn't we love our parents despite of their faults." she muttered to herself, " It's our duty to bear the burden of their sins and help them get onto the right path. If my father does something unforgivable, I won't give up on him. His foibles, misdoings and weaknesses are mine to amend. I won't cease my efforts until I've done everything in my power to absolve his crimes."

Vikram suddenly felt like a coward in front of her. It was much easier to blame his parents and Gitanjali. He never thought of rectifying his father's mistakes.His mother's departure broke his heart into pieces, Gitanjali's presence disgusted him and his father's behaviour infuriated him, but consumed by anger and vanity, he never confronted those problems.

The young girl in front of him was different.She had the strength to bear her father's pains. Sheer determination swirled in her eyes. Her words were firm and indomitable, like the unyielding vows his noble ancestors were famous for.Ancient valour and nobility oozed out of her very bones.

"Just who are you?" 

Riva realised she had spoken too much. An ordinary girl of middle-class background wouldn't empathise with a regal Prince.She cleared her throat awkwardly and looked away. Her breath hitched when Vikram raised her chin and made her face him. His touch was gentle and feather-like.

" Answer me." he urged, wrapping his palms around her wrist.

 Her heartbeat quickened at the proximity between them.His minty breath fanned her burning face.She shuddered at the intensity of his gaze.

" I'm just another girl.There's nothing special about me. I'm sorry if I spoke too much and overstepped my boundaries. Hardly anything I said is relevant to you. We live in completely different worlds." She tried to reason.

" Why don't I feel that way, Riva?" He said huskily.

Vikram cupped her warm cheeks in large palms.Her skin was soft and pale like pure white roses. Her plump red lips parted in surprise, thick eyelashes fluttering against alarmed greenish-brown eyes.She kept a hesitant hand on his chest as if to push him away, but she couldn't muster the strength.

The forest surrounding them was quiet and still.Red glows from the setting sun danced on his skin.His coffee-coloured eyes had her transfixed, unable to think logically or protest. His gaze dropped to her lips. She gasped helplessly and watched his dark head bent slowly, his lips barely inches away from hers.

 A sliver of rationale seemed into her foggy brain. Riva turned just when they were about to touch, his lips falling upon her jaw instead.

The tiny peck made her shiver uncontrollably and jerk away from him. He was astounded, stunned and his hands fell onto his sides. 

Riva's feet wobbled unsteadily as she stood up. She shuddered at the thought of his soft lips on her skin. Had she not moved at the right moment...she exhaled sharply. Without sparing him a glance, she ran away into the safety of the small, dilapidated clinic.