Trust and Friendship

" Can you drive faster?" Riva said, impatiently, " We're still an hour away from your palace."

Abhimanyu clenched his jaw at being ordered. He was a noble and dignified Yuvraj. She couldn't keep pestering him like he was a chauffeur.

" I have instructed my staff to search the place. I wouldn't be surprised if they find it before we reach. " he added " If it's there, that is."

" I hope so." Riva brushed a tendril from her face and sighed, " I've been so reckless lately. I can't believe I lost her watch. It's all Vikram's fault.He shouldn't have dragged me along in the first place."

" Now that we are talking about him..." Abhimanyu cleared his throat, " Do you think you can fool him forever? He's a smart guy with a lot of resources. He could find out your real identity."

" I'm not scared of him. Besides when all this is over, he'll know it anyway." Riva huffed, " I wouldn't have to deal with him if a nosy professor hadn't set me up.Anyway we're merely club members...there's no reason for him to think about me."

Abhimanyu made a mental note to figure out which professor went out of the line and instigated trouble for her.But then the afternoon's events flashed in his mind. The concerned look on Vikram's face, him helping Riva up, the gentle smile as he guided her out...he felt in his gut that Vikram was most certainly  attentive towards Riva. 

It was not a good thing.

" I insist that you keep your distance from him." Abhimanyu said strongly, " Just because your father isn't around, does mean you can act rebelliously. And don't you dare sit in his car ever again.Remember a Rajput women's dignity is her greatest jewel."

" Should I call you Bhaiya or Uncle?" Riva asked, seriously. 

 Abhimanyu spat out furiously "What kind of stupid question is that? I am only twenty-five this year!"

" That speech would be so perfect if it was a middle age uncle saying it." Riva mused teasingly," Even funnier if his long moustache kept twitching as he spoke.Those old fashioned words didn't suit you at all."

" I'm warning you, Rivannah." He warned.

 "Who are you to order me, as you wish? You're not my father, and we're not related by blood To me, you're nothing but a stranger." Riva pointed out, " Hum apke h kaun?"

Abhimnayu gaped at her, and said, " I'm tasked with protecting you.I'm your protector, Rivannah.I will not accept any other honorific!"

"Relax, I was just messing around." Riva smiled cheekily, " The people who are my brothers and uncles are myogencistic, self-centred bastards. You're not the same as them, right?"

" Riva," Abhimanyu said horridly, " Rajput women don't swear."

" For someone who claims to be young," Riva said brazenly, " Your thoughts don't seem to be updated at all."

" Unlike you, I respect our values and traditions." Abhimanyu retorted, furiously, " Royal families are revered for their rules and discipline.It's not just a name, Riva, it's a legacy. Following the customs and rules laid down by our ancestors is our duty."

Abhimanyu glanced at her to see her reaction. Riva was quiet and calm, and for a moment he gloated that he had finally got the last word in an argument.

" You know, I always found it funny, how all rules exist only for women. They can't wear what they like, they can't speak what they want, they must be spotless dolls in front of the media." Riva said, cynically, " While men can keep mistresses, lose their heritage in gamble houses and become drunkards and wastrels. Those customs weren't meant to be equal.Noble queens  did sati when their husbands died...do you think the rules are fair, Abhimanyu?"