Guilt and Grief

Literally Riva everywhere, nose behind a book

" Where did you go? I searched all over the museum for you!" Aditi chided as she saw Riva entering the Maharaja Museum.

Suryagarh Palace had its own museum of vintage cars and paintings and antiques for the guests to experience its rich history. She had dragged Riva from the confines of her room to explore the museum together, but Riva had slipped away quietly.

" It's n-nothing." Riva said, feebly, " I went out for a breather. I wasn't feeling well."

" You need to stop studying stringently." Aditi grinned, " Have some fun, once in a while."

" Can we go back to our rooms?" Riva asked, hugging herself. Aditi was puzzled why her confident and proud friend was acting strangely.

" Yeah, it's almost time for dinner." Aditi said, comfortingly.

It was twilight and their path was lit by glittering lights and lamps. Aditi chattered about the famous paintings she saw back in the museum, and Riva listened to her half-heartedly.

" Hey look, that's the royal stables!"Aditi exclaimed, pointing at a distance," Ma said Yuvraj has an undying love for horses and he owns many majestic breeds. We should check it out sometime. I'd love to pet a horse or two."

Riva stiffened as if she had seen a ghost. She glanced at the stables that looked like a shadow against the looming night. She shouldn't have wandered off on her own. She shouldn't have been curious to see what Abhimanyu was doing.Riva shuddered at the memory of the stables.

" The area is strictly closed off." A gruff voice said. Aditi turned to look at Man Singh, standing behind them. He had an unreadable expression on his face.

"Oh, I was just being silly." Aditi said, apologetically, " I'd be terrified if I ever saw one."

" I'm not feeling well." Riva said, suddenly, " I'm going to take some rest." She was not lying, she felt nauseous whenever she thought of the man's screams and whimpers.

" You look pale." Aditi placed her hand on Riva's forehead, " You don't have a fever though. What's wrong?" Man Singh looked at her with cool interest.

" Perhaps I miss my home." Riva said, softly. This wasn't a lie either.

It had convinced Man Singh, who asked an attendant to show her back to her room. As she lied down on her soft bed and pulled out a book to read, her thoughts were conflicted between what the man had said about her father, and Abhimanyu's frightening indifference and cruelty. 

She wished she had never heard or seen anything as the words started to blur, and she drifted to peaceful sleep.

                                                                                           *

" The Princess retired early saying she was homesick." Man Singh reported.

Abhimanyu was sitting in his study, reviewing some files related to the opposition party. He placed them down and enquired, " And what about Aditi?"

" She ate her dinner." Man Singh replied, " She was talking to her mother on the way to her room."

Abhimanyu nodded thoughtfully, his mind engrossed with Riva. She must be avoiding him because of the incident in the afternoon.But he wouldn't allow her to skip meals.

" Tell Mrs Beaton to prepare a light supper. And bring it to Riva's room." He instructed, standing up from his rosewood desk.He was going to meet Riva and ask her about the nightmares.