Lies and Love

" I think you should tell Rivannah." Abhimanyu said hesitantly, " That her father's in a coma."

Badi Maharani-sa's beautiful face was marred with a frown. Her eyes showed hostility and displeasure.

" I can't lie to her forever. Eventually she will wonder why Raghav Kaka wouldn't meet her or talk to her. She..." Abhimanyu paused, choosing his words carefully,"deserves to know."

" It's unlike you to give such a suggestion." she said stonily, " Is something weighing your conscience?"

Abhimanyu opened his mouth to refute but couldn't force the words out. Badi Maharani-sa didn't know about his new found affections for her granddaughter. She would probably take Rivannah from his custody.He was torn between keeping the girl he loved safe and losing her trust for lying about her father. 

" Is there something I must know?" Badi Maharani-sa pressed, as if she could read the turmoil of emotions in his eyes. She had practically raised Abhimanyu and knew his nature well.

" She wanted to wish her father on Diwali." Abhimanyu sighed, pulling out an envelope from his suit jacket. It felt incomparably heavy in his hands. He still remembered how excited Rivannah was when she gave him the letter. How she had warned him not to sneak a peak.

" A letter?" She asked surprised, before saying in a grave tone," You shouldn't indulge her whims and fancies. That obstinate girl can't help Raghu even if she knows about his condition. She'll probably demand to be at his side, no matter how dangerous it is for both of them.I don't wish to deal with her mess."

" I made a deal with BlueFreddie. He won't target both of them." 

" He isn't the only person who murders for money." Badi Maharani-sa pointed out.

" I am just an ally." Abhimanyu gritted his teeth, " I won't intervene in your family matters. But she made me promise that I'll give this to Raghav-Kaka. Please take it with you in the next visit. I'm getting sick of lying to her." 

He involuntarily slammed the letter on the table. Badi Maharani-sa narrowed her eyes and watched him stride out of the sitting room.She picked up the envelope and tore it open. 

A bracelet with bright beads fell out of it.The bracelet was for good luck and health.Badi Maharani-sa skimmed through the neat cursive handwriting. Rivannah had poured her love and devotion for her father in the words.

She wiped a stray tear that had rolled down her eyes.

                                                                 *

Riva sighed in relief when her friends were taken out of the wooden barn. Vikram snarled at the dacoits, Aditi was on the verge of tears and Shaurya was shouting that he didn't want to marry anyone. 

" Relax." Maitreyi said kindly, " We've sorted it out with the villagers. They found another groom."

" How did you do it? What kind of black magic did you use?" Vikram asked in astonishment.

" We told them you two were gay. Don't give me that look." Maitreyi rolled her eyes," Do you want to marry Kalawati? Yeah, didn't think so. This was the only way to save your ass, you ungrateful punk."

" You could have said we were married couples." Vikram said pointedly.

" These people have a certain image of married women. We have neither vermillion, nuptial chains nor red bangles." Riva shrugged, " They will probably think we're lying.It's best to present them something they have no idea about." 

Vikram swallowed his hurt pride and bowed his head.Shaurya was elated at being spared and nearly cried tears of joy.

" Wait a second." Aditi interrupted, " How did they find another groom so fast?"