Humility and Hiraeth

Aditi^

" We're here." Abhimanyu poked her shoulder. 

Any physical contact with her would be rather inappropriate since she was an unmarried girl. He swallowed, thinking about how  her slender fingers felt on his burning skin...her hands finding his shoulder for support as she rolled the glaze around his wound...

Rivannah swatted his hand away and mumbled incoherently. Most of her dark tresses had fallen out from the messy bun , and she slept with the nape of her neck bared to him. She looked innocent and naive. But Abhimanyu had ample proof that she was an obstinate hellion. Extremely unladylike and outspoken.  

 He honked the horn of his car noisily, until Rivannah jerked awake and shut her ears with her hands forcefully, yelling" Stop it!"

Her eyelids were pinched close and Abhimanyu chuckled at her dazed expression.

" We're at your new humble abode.You might want to fix yourself. Ambika Ba is expecting a Princess and not a homeless." Abhimanyu joked as he came out to give her privacy.

Rivannah groaned in frustration and fixed her hair. Not only he had woken her up with such a loud sound, he had the audacity to call her a homeless person! She let her hair loose because they were pretty tangled anyway, and frowned at her reflection. She looked sleep deprived and tired.

Rivannah climbed out of the car, to see a modest looking two storey house, partly covered by an old looking banyan tree.It had seen better days, its paint was peeling off. There were no houses near it, and the house had a small garden, which gave into an open field. 

I'm doing this for my father. She told herself over and over again,This too shall pass!

" Maybe this is your humble cue to stop being a pampered and spoilt princess. Make most of it." Abhimanyu said mockingly, only to meet a pair of outraged eyes.

" Don't give me advice I didn't ask for!" Rivannah exclaimed as she  stomped past him .

She reached the door and hesitantly knocked at it. Abhimanyu snickered behind her,pressing the button for the bell , next to the door.

" You're a very long way from the palace." He murmured as he leered. The bell chimed and the door swung open. A broad middle aged woman wearing a bright coloured sari smiled at them and ushered them inside.

" I'm Ambika Patel." She introduced herself , " And you must be Princess Rivannah Rathore."

" Uh, I thought I'd change my name. So I can hide my identity better." Rivannah said awkwardly. Ambika gestured them to sit on the sofa. Abhimanyu sat down but he was observing Rivannah keenly.

" That's a very good idea." Ambika said approvingly , " Have you thought about any?"

Rivannah nodded, her face drooping in sadness, " Riva." 

It was her nick name.

" That will do. Although Rina or Hemlata are pretty common and boring names, too." Abhimanyu suggested.

"Nobody asked you." Riva gritted her teeth, " Don't do such a terrible job naming your daughters!"

Abhimanyu's eyes were clouded with a snippet of unknown emotion, but it vanished as soon as it came.Ambika looked at their playful banter and grinned.She had known Yuvraj since he was four, had seen him grow up into the brazen and domineering  individual. She could sense that he had a sweet spot of tolerance for Rivannah...Riva...and it was a good thing, considering he could learn a thing or two about patience.

" You must be famished..." Ambika said," Do you want a late breakfast?"

Riva opened her mouth to say no, Abhimanyu grinned , " Yes, please. I'm starving, Ambika Ba."