Chapter 21: Valeriy Ayers - Repeat (Part VII)

.

.

.

P.S. I figured you'd be on a road trip or on the railway, so I sent this off with an updated version of an old surprise.

'An old surprise...?'

"Oh! Did he send the thingy!? Please be the thingy!"

As I dug through the duffle bag, I had the small inkling that Bucky may or may not have caught me by the back of my shirt on my way down.

"Another phone?" Bucky asked, staring at the same model phone as ours but in a much clunker case.

"Just looks like a phone. It's been mostly gutted."

"Like how the Puppet weapons look the same as regular ones."

"Yeah. Let's us slide by without anyone asking questions for the special tech we don't bring to market."

"What does this do?"

"A camera. Takes special photos," I grinned, standing behind him and holding the phone out in front of us. "Welcome to the age of selfies, Bucky."

"Was that...? You can't have a picture of me on that. They'll find –"

"It's all good," I stated lightly, scratching at his scalp to calm him some. "We use it for private photos. We didn't want anyone to stumble across a photo of people close to us. Friends. Significant others. We didn't want to put them in danger. So this camera came to be. Doesn't have online capabilities, so it can't be remotely hacked. The memory cache where the photos are stored is routinely cleaned. Unless you store it in the other one for later use. So it's safe to use."

Searching the surroundings, I snapped another photo. This time of Bucky's choice of breakfast, a bowl of neatly diced fruits.

"It works by hiding one image in another via a 25 character code. '321 Bucky's first selfie.' will be the code of this one. Then you print it like so."

While that was spitting a photo out of the case, I searched for the last part of this system. A rather thick piece of glass. Tapping on the edge, I quickly scrolled through the numbers and alphabet to match the code.

"This thing keeps an entered code for about ten minutes...?" I said, laying it over the photo.

The bowl of diced fruits turned into a photo of our faces. My smiling face and Bucky's adorably lost looking face.

When his fingers hesitantly moved towards the camera disguised as a phone, I half placed it in his hands.

"Have at it. The duffle bag's full of the film and there's more where we'll be staying."

"What's a selfie?" was the first question out of his mouth.

"Taking a picture of yourself. Flip the camera to the front, then stick your arm out and snap a photo. Selfies aren't the only pictures to take. Landscapes. Animals. People.... Food...? Anything. Can slip them in the pages of your journals too. Whatever you want, Bucky."

"Whatever I want...."

"And there's a normal photo option – Haha, 'kay. Go for it," I said without needing to slap on a smile.

I was already grinning ear to ear at the puppy eyed look he sent my way, his fingers nervously clinging onto the camera. The little tilt of the camera lens towards my face was all I needed to know what he wanted.

Bucky snapped a picture and then of my half eaten toast, quickly navigating the program and printing out a photo.

For some reason or another, he felt the need to hide a picture of the one whole cinnamon bun he had left.

'...Harder to take away something from somebody when you don't know what to take....'

.

. ** .

.

.

Author's Note:

If you enjoyed this part, please consider leaving a vote. They're very much appreciated. ^^