Chapter 13: Bucky Barnes - Demons Outside (Part I)

Author's Note: This and the last chapter is the reason why I even decided on chapter names. Though most chapter names are my way of having spoiler free names that might be enough to let a person know if they read the chapter already.

.

I'm always trying to improve my ability to pull a person into a character's headspace or feel their emotions, and your feedback will help me know if what I'm trying for is working or not. Even an emoticon or button smashing tells me something useful and can influence what I write more or less of.

I respondto all comments and it's always fun to hear your thoughts ^^

.

.

. ** .

.

"Mi-m-mission report."

"It's done," I responded. My own mind screaming at me. For the disobedience. For the black and red wounds left on that face. "Captain America is dead."

Whoever he was, all I knew was that I'm supposed to protect him. I don't know what this is, I just know I'm supposed to do this right now. Whatever this is. I'm supposed to protect this for some reason.

And Hydra wanted him dead.

They're responsible.

They made me.... They made me.

A sigh of relief snapped me out of my head.

Break skull with fist. Target incapacitated.

Slam tray into the throat. Target incapacitated.

Break table leg. Impale through the eye. Target incapacitated.

"Mercy! Please! I have a daughter! P-please! Please! Ha-have m-m-m-mer-mercy. My daughter. Pl-hic-ease," a sniveling lab coat begged, scrambling away with weak little kicks. Curling up into a ball when his back hit the wall. His face a mess of tears, snot and splattered blood. His words turning incoherent in his desperation.

Slam foot into ribcage. Target incapacitated.

One kick. That's all it would take to finish this.

But I couldn't....

"Go," I snapped.

My cold numbed fingers squeezed the trigger. The recoil absorbed into my shoulder. A green clad soldier dropped from the ruins of a building. A base...?

Through the scope the fire breathing, horned demon raked his thumb across his throat. A threat.

'NO!' This wasn't right. 'He doesn't breathe fire. He doesn't have horns.'

Everything flickered.

It was a salute. The threat was a salute. The body near him no longer resembled an American soldier. The uniform much darker. Almost black. Hydra.

My arm... there was no metal. Flesh and bone.

At the sound of a twig snapping, I whirled around and found movement all around me. The figures flickering back and forth between green and black. There were too many of them to fight. The cliff behind me was too high to make an escape with a...? With?

A small person dropped down from the tree next to me. A kid. A young boy. His height changing with his blond hair. From light to dark. Caught between a little blond who scurried under a bed and the older one. More than likely someone I'd long forgotten.