Chapter 30: Valeriy Ayers - Black Sand (Part III)

.

.

.

"Thanks.... Do you want to watch a movie or something?"

Bucky shook his head, his arm wrapping around me.

"Okay...." I reached up with my left hand,soothing my fingers over his cheek. Orat least that's what I was hoping me playing with his stubble came off as.Scratching it was oddly fun.

"...What is it?" Bucky questioned lightly.

"Huh?"

"You want to say something."

'...How the fuck does he know these things? I swear I don't have words stamped on my face. Unlike his.'

He nudged me when I took too long.

I took a deep breath in, searching for the words. "Are you sure you want to teach me how to defend myself...?"

His hand waved into the ether. "She mentioned you could use what you learn to kill people."

"I can't argue with that.... When shit hits the fan, I doubt I'd be able to compartmentalize what skills I learn from you.... You... you shouldn't teach me if you're not alright with me killing people....

"Though learning how to shoot probably might stop the collateral damage.... Shoot what I want to shoot and not hope for the best?"

"They'll come for me, and they'll go through you to get to me.... I can't leave you defenceless against them... in case... in case I... I-I...."

"...Whatever happens, try not to blame yourself for it...."

"None of this matters until I manage to dart you..." he pointed out.

"I could probably figure a way to nudge you into shooting me with a dart...."

"I don't want to snap and hurt you."

"I'm not going to threaten you or the dogs. Let me think on it a bit. If I come up with something, shall I use it?"

"...If you're sure I won't hurt you."

"Deal."

"...I think... I think I'm going to take a shower after you finish your breakfast."

To which, with one PRO slice left, I changed my eating tactics to nibbles. To stretch out this moment a little longer. Let him have more time to relax.

But the last bite came too soon, and true his word, Bucky peeled away from my side and got onto his feet.

"I... I should be alright now," he muttered softly, eyes not quite meeting mine. "You should go back to sleep."

I shrugged, fishing out an earbud from my shorts pocket. "I might check out the sn... outside? If anything, call me. I have my earbud in."

With a nod, Bucky headed for the hallway to the rooms. Going by how his stiff gate was and how hunched shoulders were, he was barely alright.

'I hope he's been using hot water....'

And not the sad excuse for room temp water. Pretty sure it's colder than room temp.

No point in saving hot water here. Something would have to be seriously wrong for us to run out.

"He'd probably be more comfortable barging into your room if you wore more than panties to sleep."

"But it gets so hot," I whined. "And then it gets all tangled up. Next thing I know I'm having a nightmare about breathing problems and I wake up not able to breathe 'cause it's actually fucking strangling me."