Chapter 4: Bucky Barnes - Perfectly Toasted Toast (Part II)

.

. ** .

.

"Good morning, Mr. Barnes."

The A.I. ghost had been silent for most of the night. She stayed wordless through dawn. Even a good portion of the morning.

That was until my stomach broke the silence with a grumble.

I could only clench my jaw in frustration. Trading people watching my every move for a ghost. Who was likely doing the same. A ghost who knew far too much.

For the first time in hours, I moved. Turning away from the window. But staying in the safe corner. Out of sight from the outside world. There hadn't been any movements in the darkness. Only neighbors going about their morning routines.

I couldn't sleep. Too much of a risk.

What if I ended up killing the young woman I tried to save?

"I haven't figured out how to cook in this house. I'll need your hands if you want some breakfast."

In a haze, I found myself in the bathroom. Avoiding my reflection. Cleaning up automatically. Quick and efficient.

They were never patient. Take too long, and there'd be a hose.

The fridge was open by the time I entered the kitchen. There wasn't much in it. Except for bottles. Mostly sauces. A dizzying array. And alcohol too. Balanced precariously between the bottles was bread. A full loaf.

A creak sounded from behind the fridge door.

Reflexively, I peered around. Prepared for anything.

Another appliance door was now open. Something that looked like a miniature oven.

"How would you like your toast, Mr. Barnes?"

Cautiously, I threw three slices inside. Afraid. I dare not touch it. And when I stepped back. It closed. All on its own.

"Oh relax. I wouldn't close it on you. I'm not so careless. Though I must admit, my people forgot to restock the fridge in their rush. I'll have more food delivered by nightfall. If there is anything you'd like, please let me know. Unless it's something that melts. Makes keeping you two hidden a little difficult."

Her chuckles echoed through the house.

"No. There won't be any visitors."

'How did she –?! Is she in my head!?!'

"The goal is to keep the two of you completely off anybody's radar. That includes my own people. The only ones who know you're here is Val and myself. I can't risk any careless leaks."

"You've done this before." At least one of them had gone south from a leak.

"The Ayers keep me busy. Privacy is a top priority."

"The kidnapping. Last night. She mentioned... about it happening again."

"And it won't be the last. Oops. I do believe I've spoken too much on this matter. You should talk to Val if you want answers. Though I doubt she knows anything. Your toast is ready, Mr. Barnes. There's butter and jam in the fridge." With those words, the miniature oven appliance door, the fridge door and a drawer from the counter opened.

'This house is haunted.'

Instead of running, I grabbed a knife and the strawberry jam. Had to move quickly. Still couldn't trust her not to slam the door on me.