Chapter 15: Bucky Barnes - Stained Ass Carpet (Part II)

.

.

.

'...I can't even die....'

"...son got a hold of you, not sure where you'd end up. He's obsessed with a certain blond icon but Fury is? Was? His director. That bastard would probably hole you up at some black site beyond Eve's reach, and I wouldn't doubt that he would tor...."

'...They'll bring me back....'

"...levels are making me uneasy...."

'...Have I...?'

"...Oh shit shit shitshitshit...."

'...I should....'

"...ky, nothing's going to happen to you. You've got us...."

'...I should...?'

"...I got you, Bu...."

'....I need to go back to – Is that the carpet?!'

Right in my face. A head of dark hair at the edge of my periphery. A warm pressure against my chest.

Scrambling off of her back I was draped over, I barely managed to stop myself from sending a foot at those pale gray eyes when a hand grabbed my leg.

"Hey, hey. I got you. You're safe. Nothing's going to happen. You're uhhh.... Do you want to go for a walk? Ummm... outside?"

"What the hell happened...?" I asked, taking in my surroundings.

The dingy motel room. The peeling green and orange flowered wallpaper. The stained carpet we sat upon.

It's not cold. It's not dark. It's not Hydra.

"No idea. You kind of just... zoned out? And maybe lost all the color in your face.... So I thought I'd take you outside. Maybe it'd ground you a bit? Eve said there's no one around...."

"...Were you...?"

Shuffling on her hands and knees. My body draped over her back.

"Were you trying to carry me outside?"

"Uhhh... y-yes?" she half winced out, as if she knew where this was going.

Stuffing down whatever it was that was clawing up my chest the best I could, I moved to return her back on the bed. Only to freeze midway. So easy to break something already broken.

Those big gray eyes staring up at me. I could see the uncertainty in them. The little bit of panic left over. The drop of sweat on her forehead. I could only hope it was due to exertion, but pain had to be a factor.

She shouldn't even be using her right hand. But it reached out to me, along with the other. Even weaving her fingers with the metal ones. A comforting smile, pulling at her lips.

"You're not going to hurt me, Bucky," Valeriy insisted. Confidence so clear in her voice. So very sure.

But I still found myself pulling away. Those fingers too easy to crush. Only a little misuse of strength. One wrong twitch from me.

"Bucky...?"

"You shouldn't be on your legs with that ankle. You shouldn't be crawling around on that hand," I told her, deciding to lift her off the floor with two hands on her hips would be least painful. "Least of all trying to carry me with those ribs.... They're covered in hairline fractures. Your bones look like they've got spider webs on them...."