Chapter 17: Valeriy Ayers - Fluffy Fluffy Blankets (Part I)

Author's Note:

I'm always trying to improve my ability to pull a person into a character's headspace or feel their emotions, and your feedback will help me know if what I'm trying for is working or not. Even an emoticon or button smashing tells me something useful and can influence what I write more or less of.

I respond to all comments and it's always fun to hear your thoughts ^^

.

Previously:

As the car rolled away, Valeriy gave a final wave. Wearing that smiling mask before turning to the other car.

I couldn't tear my eyes away from her. Climbing onto the seats to stare out of the rear windows. Through the dark fabric.

For a moment. For a just a moment before she was swallowed up by the trees, her feigned confidence broke. Shoulders sagging. Looking so defeated.

"Would you like an update on Hydra's movements?"

"...."

"...From what we've gathered, they've been fanning out from the States searching for you after the other night. They seem to be banking on you heading to Europe some time. They have more men there."

"...."

"Either way, it should be smooth sailings until we reach the Genevan H.Q. and then we'll be adapting the shinobi's way until we reach Cupcakes."

"...."

"You should have piloting experience, right? I'll let you fly my jet when we're over the ocean... if you want...?"

"...."

"Or I can shut up and do my job...."

Better this way. Better the further she was away. Safer that way. Safe from Hydra.... From me....

Less chance of me hurting her if she wasn't in reach. Less chance of me killing her if we weren't in the same country.

Better this way....

.

.

. ** .

.

"– broken her spine! Her spine!!! Amber hasn't figured out how to fix the last one you broke! You would have snapped in half too!!! Your bones are already compromised from the last –"

Five layers of thick fluffy blankets were what was needed to make the banshee screeching come to a volume that didn't cause my ears to bleed.

"Very mature, you little shit!!! I can easily switch to the car speakers!!!"

'...Ah shit.'

"Why don't you announce it to the whole bloody woods where the fuck I am?"

"...I wish things weren't like this."

Running my hands through my hair, I relished the almost cool rush washing over my scalp from having the tight braids undone. But as it were, my hair no longer was its usual somewhat wavy self, far from it, and the texture only served to tickle my sensitive neck. I could already feel the bout of giggles kicking their way up my chest.

"That I could communicate with you more openly. That there wouldn't be any misunderstandings between us. This should have never happened."

"Don't we both...."