Chapter 31: Bucky Barnes - Goldilocks (Part I)

.

.

. ** .

.

Spray lube.

Brush grime.

Hear door open.

Scramble to hide everything.

"Time to have new cushion covers made.... Again."

"What? Why? I didn't even do anything," Valeriy huffed, coming into sight from around the shelf corridor.

Arms crossed. Lips pouting. Left foot clinking every time it met the floor.

'She's supposed to be asleep.'

At 0411, she was usually asleep.

"...You're not hiding food under that cushion, are you?" she asked, pale gray eyes drifting to my right and down.

I couldn't help but push my elbow down. Wanting to discreetly smooth out the bumps from the objects underneath.

"...No... I wasn't eating," I mumbled. Had the last of the cinnamon bun 73 minutes ago.

Valeriy carefully navigated over Zephyr's sleeping body. Swaying a bit to keep most of her weight off her left leg.

Pull foot. Swing body into corner. Target incapacitated.

At her stumble, I shot my arm out to steady her. Stop her from landing on Zephyr. Couldn't hazard him to sink his teeth into her.

With a shrug, she decided to squeeze into the little space between the dog, the higher layer of the couch and my arm.

"Is it porn...?"

"Wha –?"

"Wrong kind of lube. I don't even want to figure out how porn could lead to that particular cushion cov – That failed. I need to go delete the last three minutes or so."

Valeriy peered under the cushion.

I needed two hands to stop her. Or I had to pull her away. I couldn't risk hurting her.

"Why are you hiding guns, Bucky?" She glanced my way and smiled softly. "Aw, it's not like I'm a little kid. I'm not going to shoot myself."

She picked up two pieces belonging to two different guns and tried to slot them together. She didn't force them in place. Even traded a part for another. Still the wrong gun.

"...Uhh, cross that out. The thing about shooting myself...? That's a lie."

"I was wondering if you remembered darting your own face. By accident. Twice."

At those words, I scrambled to grab the parts from her. She didn't fight me on it. Opening her hands.

"If I remember, you pulled one of those triggers. It's why you can't pull anymore triggers on your own," Valeriy huffed.

I fitted everything back into place. Tucking all of it out of sight. Behind me. Under the cushion we sat on.

"I don't get why you feel the need to hide all of that from me. It's not like I haven't used them before...."

None of this felt right.

A part of me wanted to keep her from all of this. But I couldn't.

Not with the dangers that surrounded her. Not when Hydra could drag her away.

If I turned on her... a gun might be her only hope.

I didn't want to think about it until I had to, so I asked, "Shouldn't you be sleeping?"

Valeriy didn't answer.

Not with words.

Her back twisted until she leaned against my side. Her head tilting to the side, resting on my shoulder.

I cautiously wrapped my arm around her. Making sure to keep the pressure light. Waiting for the sting of a slap. She didn't ask for a hug. But under unsettled churning in my gut, this felt right.

My nerves settled when she returned the gesture. Still turned away. But her arm bent behind and held me close. Her fingers drawing senseless lines on my back.

Ignoring the occasional twitch from her healing hand, the movements to it wasn't what I was used to. Not the calming touch. An anxious tick.

It unsettled my nerves.

My hand tucked under her legs, and I pulled my own legs out from under Ixie and Zephyr to stand up.

A squeak escaped Valeriy. Her arms scrambling to cling onto me. A panicked heartbeat pounding away for six seconds.

I stopped in front of the silver machine. The one that spat out drinks. One I haven't used before.

No buttons to press. No screen to tap. No way to interact with it.

A mug rose up from a hidden opening in the stone counter. Hums and clicks filled the silence. All on its own.

That had Valeriy's attention. Before she could twist and strain her ribs, I turned my back to the machine, so she could watch it.

Might I offer a mug of steamed milk? I hear it helps with sleep.

The text appeared on the stone counter of the island for a quarter second.

I shook my head.

I wouldn't be sleeping any time soon. Not 23 minutes from now as the A.I. ghost would nag about.

Not when I was needed.

I snatched the mug from her fingers mid tip. Held it out of Valeriy's reach. Not the first time she tried to drink freshly made steaming liquid. Far from the first time she'd burn her tongue on it. Doubt she'd learn from those mistakes.

The mug filled only two thirds full. Filled enough that the little malfunctions to the arm wouldn't spill the contents. Couldn't stop her attempts without my arm she sat on.

Settling in another area of the couch. Away from the guns. I carefully sat us down. Made sure not to drop her.

The dogs didn't seem to notice we had moved away. Ixie only flopped over. Both still asleep.

"Sorry," she mumbled into my shoulder. "It's just a stupid nightmare...."

"It's not stupid," I countered. Holding her tighter.

The words that left my own lips felt like a slap to the face. For every time the A.I. ghost woke me from the terrors. For the times I wanted to scream and spill all the horrors. For the times I wanted to be wrapped up in blankets and a hug.

For all the times I've told myself that it was all stupid.

"I shouldn't be – Not after so lo...." She huffed and dropped her head against my shoulder with a thud. "...It's tiring."

My fingers tangled through her hair. Stroking down her head. Combing through the tangles. Trying to imitate what she's done for me.... When she hadn't thought I had eyeballs in my hair.

.

.

.

Author's Note:

If you enjoyed this part, please consider leaving a vote. They're very much appreciated. ^^

And a big thank you to TinselA/Bunny Carrot (https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7591081/) and the Anonymous Fifth Beta for Beta-ing this chapter.