Chapter 23: Bucky Barnes - CHEESE (Part VI)

.

.

.

The A.I. ghost was likely the one behind opening the door to the left of the one Valeriy had first tried.

"Ah, there it is. The freezer. I'll just put a stack of stuff in front to let you know."

"I can remember it.... Why is the room shaped like this?"

"We went a little crazy? It's all based on the Fibonacci spiral. If you put a bunch of them together, you can get a swirly flower pattern thing.... Ah, we cut the silicone tiles into shapes it makes."

That's when I saw the spirals crisscrossing each other in the flooring.

The stairs were in a room hidden behind another shelf door. Unnecessarily wide but also curving much like the garage. When we stepped on them, they started to move. Like an escalator. That got narrower as we went until we came up from a hole in the floor of a room with far too many windows.

One window.

That covered the entire wall.

Eight meters tall. An entire wall of glass. Not just simple flat glass. Compound curves forced it into the petal shapes. Much like the shelves in the room below.

I couldn't help but duck back under the floors. Rushing down a few steps to keep under. Flinching when Valeriy grabbed onto my hand.

And then the stairs stopped moving.

"Hey, we're safe here, Bucky. Windows are better than the stuff used at the D.C. safe house and any satellite imaging of this area is automatically edited to be quite wrong. So it's safe inside and safe to go outside too. Come on, I'll show you how it looks."

She gave a little tug. Pulling me along, right to the window. She pushed on the glass wall there, and it swung open a door to the outside.

I could feel the warm grass through the socks on my feet. The soil was soft to walk on.

A sloped clearing gave this spot just enough height to look over the surrounding trees. Gave a broad view of the mountain range.

Not a building in sight.

This was the perfect vantage point to see who was coming up.

The two dogs bounded down the slope, barking at each other and chasing a black bird.

When I turned to face the structure we came out of, all I saw was a massive mossy boulder. Blended right in. It even felt like a mossy boulder. Warm from the sun. Damp at the moss. As if it had been here when the mountain had formed. Except for the piece that swung out which revealed what was actually there.

I quickly ran to the other side to see what the landscape was there. With the pair of dogs trying to keep up.

"Stay in this clearing, Bucky! There are traps all over the place beyond that!" Valeriy yelled after me.

"Okay!"

A slender waterfall was about 1853 meters away from the north side of the fake boulder. I could see anyone coming down the cliff face.

If the satellites didn't work here... no one would see unless it was with human eyes...

If I sat on top of the boulder... I would have a view of everything around.

'...This place... I can protect it.'

"Shall we go back to Val?" I asked the dogs for some reason.

Ixie barked in response and Zephyr was already on his way to her.