Chapter 7: Valeriy Ayers - A Little Cup of Water (Part I)

Author's Note:

I'm always trying to improve my ability to pull a person into a character's headspace or feel their emotions, and your feedback will help me know if what I'm trying for is working or not. Even an emoticon or button smashing tells me something useful and can influence what I write more or less of.

I respond to all comments and it's always fun to hear your thoughts ^^

.

.

. ** .

.

As a screech broke into ringing in my ears, a startled gasp filled my lungs. My hands flew to cover them, trying to lessen the overload of volume.

Terror washed through my veins.

It sounded like an animal was being slowly ground up, feet first.

'What the hell's happening?'

"EVE!!!" I yelled, pulling on a shirt, grabbing my earbuds.

Hopefully, the noise cancelling feature could do something to dampen the ear-splitting sound.

I grabbed my crutches and hurried out of the room.

"I can't wake him," Eve said through my earphones. Better than trying to hear her over this screaming.

Nothing should be able to scream like that.

"Nothing's working. You should run. He might be having a break."

'And leave him in his personal hell?'

I couldn't help but glance at the stairs on my way.

It wasn't like I wasn't capable of walking away from this. As Eve suggested. Turn a blind eye to this.

But part of me knew what it was like to be trapped in a nightmare, begging for escape but having no control of when I could wake.

Taking a deep breath to attempt to calm my shaky nerves, I opened the door. Or tried to.

"EVE! THE DOOR!!!"

"No. And don't scream. There's no need to let him know you're here. I can pick up your voice through your jaw bone perfectly fine."

"Then open the bloody door!"

I knew that slamming my palm against the door would do nothing to make her open it. She had no nerves. And the person inside.... He wouldn't be able to hear anything over the terrifying sound he was making.

"Eve!!"

"It's too dangerous!"

"Like I could even outrun him if he decides to turn on me. Now open it, or should I fucking tackle it down?"

Nothing.

"Fine!!!"

I dropped one crutch and used the other to break the drywall next to the hinges. If she wasn't opening the door, then I could take out her servos.

'Hang on....'

I hopped over to the other side of the door and repeated the same destruction of drywall. But instead of the mess of wires and mechanics, there was another layer of drywall.

"Next time, I'm letting you cook in a steel crate...."

"Whatever."

Crawling through the rather snug hole, I came upon the sight of the screaming man on the floor, tangled in the setup he made to sleep on.