Chapter 14: Bucky Barnes - Frozen Cows (Part II)

.

.

.

The alleyway gave way to a main road. Empty and completely hidden from the lack of working street lamps. Couldn't doubt the A.I. ghost was behind it. From the helicopter, it could be easily passed over in the darkness of the night.

I stayed in the alleyway, checking for an ambush. Eyeing the semi-truck parked directly across from us. No one in the cabin. No movements anywhere on the street.

"Get in the truck already. The road's clear. You're wasting time."

With a mildly irritated huff at how relaxed they suddenly sound, I adjusted Valeriy's weight on my shoulder and quickly crossed the open area. Stuck close to the side of the crate to minimize our profile.

"We're not driving this monster. To the back," the young woman pointed out and I turned on a heel, hurrying my steps. "We're cargo. Assuming this is one of our trucks. I sure hope you like hot and cramped...."

An icy blast of air slapped me in the face when I swung open the truck door.

My heart drop down to my stomach. Barely even felt my feet stumbling back a step.

Didn't even register the body that fell off mine until a face blocked the horrid sight. Warm hands settled on either side of my face. Pressing into my cheeks. Enough to distract me from the frozen bodies hanging from meat hooks.

"Hey, eyes here, Buddy. Eyes here. We need to get insi –"

I shook my head, backing away from the cold air spilling out. "Please.... I can – I can protect you. I promise. I'll do anything. Please don't freeze me again.... I can protect you...."

"You were frozen...? What? They had cryonics worked out so long ago? The hell?"

"Please. I'll be good. I'llbegood. I'llbegoodI'lldoanything. V –"

"Shhhh."

A hand covered my mouth, and I instantly stopped my words. As the silent order demanded. Had to be good. If I was good enough this time... maybe... maybe I won't be frozen....

"You're not going to get frozen, 'kay? But we need to go through there. It's about thirty seconds of cold and then it'll be all toasty, 'kay?"

That had to be a lie. The container's a damn freezer. Nothing warm about it.

"And yeah, the cows look really demented... so just keep your eyes on me, 'kay?"

Her hand dropped to mine, tugging on it. Trying to pull me closer to the cold. The other trying to slip back into a glove. The mangled fingers being uncooperative.

"Twenty seconds. You don't have time."

A wince passed over her features as she stripped out of her hoodie. "I'm sorry for this." She pulled the warmed fabric over my shoulders, holding onto the front together and tugging the hood over my head. "Get to the back of the freezer and wait for me."

And with those orders, I had no choice but to step into the cold.

As she paused at the door, I hurried to the back, weaving through all the skinned bodies. With the thundering heartbeat in my ears, I could barely catch a creak of the door closing but definitely heard the metal on metal clang of the door sliding into place. Drove home that I was stuck in here. In the cold.

"He's been out of cryo too long."

A light lit up the darkness. Moving straight at me. Strapped to the side of the young woman racing between the bodies.