Chapter 16: Bucky Barnes - Pretty Peach Dress (Part IV)

.

.

.

"Val, next to you."

"Huh? Oh shit."

A hand closed over mine that was trying desperately to open the door. But my fingers would not cooperate. Couldn't grip the handle. Another hand used my knee as support. A body against mine.

Wrap fingers around throat. Crush windpipe. Target incapacitated.

Grab revolver. Shoot – Collapse skull with handle. Target incapacitated.

The butt of the revolver slammed into the cushioned seat. The body under my hand went limp. Gray eyes staring up at me. Red veins crawling across them.

"I...." I quickly backed away. Revolver dropping onto the floor mat with a thump. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean – I'm sorry. I'm sor –"

I knew what a held up finger meant, and instantly, my jaw snapped shut. Not another word out of me. In a voice that wasn't mine.

Valeriy coughed a couple of times, still holding up a finger to me. Her body twisting away. "Sparks, get your ass back in the car and fucking drive. This looks weird as shit. We don't need the eyes."

The older woman was standing outside. Arms and legs poised for a brawl. The stance of a seasoned fighter.

"Ignore her," Valeriy stated. Be it to me to ignore the brunette or to the brunette to ignore me... since I was still disguised.

The brunette had to shake out her nerves, tentatively lowering herself back into the driver seat. Eyeing me the whole time as she pulled off the shoulder of the highway.

Valeriy pushed off of the armrest compartment between the front seats with a pained wince, settling on the seat on my right. Gently adjusting me so I'd face her. "Keep your eyes on me, 'kay?"

Left hand tangling in my hair to keep me from watching the other woman.

"Sparks is okay. We can trust her. I'm not going to let anything happen to you. We shouldn't have shouted like that. I'm sorry. If you're comfortable with Sparks, we can remove...."

Her right hand gestured all around me. The left scratching along my scalp. Keeping me grounded.

"I've met her before." Still wasn't my voice.

"What?"

"I've met her before," I repeated, barely able to push the words out. Head nodding towards the driver seat.

"I would have remembered meeting someone like you," the older woman stated. Stress high in her voice.

The way she held herself. The way she tensed up. The way she fell into a fighting stance. I've seen it all before. On a nervous ginger with brown eyes. With all they did to disguise me, it wouldn't be hard for the brunette to change her appearance into another race. Habits were another story.

The A.I. ghost... she planned this all out. Since before 85 days ago. When I met the librarian. In the library. Teaching me how to use the computers.

The A.I. ghost led me to that park with the Hydra woman... and to Valeriy.

Maybe even the homeless young man by the fire had been part of all this. The one who told me of the soup kitchen, the shelter... and the library. 87 days ago.

"I'm sorry," Valeriy whispered, pulling in closer to me. "I'm sorry for everything. Eve... she should have never.... I'm sorry."

"You trust her?" I questioned, watching Valeriy turn her attention onto the librarian.