Chapter 15: Bucky Barnes - Stained Ass Carpet (Part I)

Author's Note:

I has got a new beta!! Aereul's schedule has gotten too busy and a new player has stepped in. YAY!

For the moment, she wishes to stay anonymous. (I'll be calling her Anonymouse second beta. ^^)

.

I'm always trying to improve my ability to pull a person into a character's headspace or feel their emotions, and your feedback will help me know if what I'm trying for is working or not. Even an emoticon or button smashing tells me something useful and can influence what I write more or less of.

I respond to all comments and it's always fun to hear your thoughts ^^

.

.

. ** .

.

No movements. None coming from the road towards the motel.

No familiar faces. None that I could catch on the way here.

No reason to keep the COP .357 clutched between my fingers. But I found myself unable to let go. Still too wound up to leave my perch by the window for more than a minute. Maybe two if I had to.

I had to be ready for them.

They're searching for me.

And they will find me.

Only a matter of time....

Only a matter of time before she would wake.

I could feel this coming to an end. The rather peaceful days of the safehouse now long gone.

Even if this little motel room was likely set up by one of the A.I. ghost's assets. The sheets too clean for the peeling wallpapers. The pile of boxes in the corner sported the same logo that was on the purple toolbox and all her tools.

Likely meant that she had cameras all over this place as well.

No reason for me to keep an eye on the surroundings. She could see far more than I could. Unless it involved Hydra.

A sharp intake of air sounded behind me and then a muffled scream caught behind clenched teeth. Before the young woman could wake the other motel guests, I turned on the lamp on the night table. Moved there for this very reason. To efficiently clear the darkness in half a second.

But it wasn't the blood curdling screams in the darkness.

It was pain.

So clear in those gray eyes. In her body language.

"You can feel?" I asked in confusion.

A two second pause before I scrambled out of the chair and through the first aid kit for painkillers.

"No," she breathed out. Didn't even have enough strength to tug on my arm. Unable to move it. "No meds."

"You're in pain."

"I'll be okay," she assured. "Eve? What happened to the tingly thing?"

"Might want to wear a certain piece of jewelry so I don't end up electrocuting you," the A.I. ghost said, her voice coming from the phone I left on the table. "Unless you're into that sort of thing. No judgment here.... Mr. Barnes, the current's mild and not... whatever you think it is."