Chapter 29: Valeriy Ayers - Powdered Sugar (Part I)

.

.

. ** .

.

"They have eyes in the sky. Human eyes.... Stick to the shadows. I got the cameras. They'll be everywh– Go!"

A door slammed into my back, and my face bounced off a solid chest of muscles.

'Ow? My eyeballs.... I need more comfortable glasses.'

Bucky stood there, staring out the door. Eyes wide. Breathing short. He even took the tiniest step back.

"Hey, hey, Bucky. I need you to stay with me," I told him, pulling every trick that just might calm him down enough. "We need to move. Just stay with me, Bucky. We've got this."

The mess of Pacman ghosts were like ants, systematically swarming around on the glass's lens. Some of which were descending upon us. Their numbers growing by the second.

"Now," Eve snapped in my ear.

We didn't have time. I could see it in the way the ghosts moved. Our window was closing. Fast.

My hand slid down the hard surface of his cybernetic and grabbed his fingers. Turning on my heel, I dashed for the fence. Leapt down the steps and hoped that Bucky followed me.

'Waka waka waka waka waka waka.'

We had time. A bit of time to get away from the safehouse. Hopefully far enough that the safehouse wouldn't be compromised. Wouldn't hear the end of it from Eve if it were.

At a little tug on my hand, I squeezed down on his. A quick glance over my shoulder and it seemed that he didn't spot something that Eve hadn't.

'Waka waka waka waka waka waka.'

As long as we kept to the shadows, the chopper would have a hard time seeing us. The patchwork of greys made that more difficult. Harder to spot than a solid mass of black in a humanoid shape of clothing.

I let go of his hand to pull on my glove to stop any trace of me being left behind. Grabbed onto the edge of the fence, hauled myself over and made sure to roll into my landing. My ankle pulsed in protest, but I continued to run for the next fence. At least Bucky's Pacman was keeping up and not still in the safehouse backyard.

'Waka waka waka waka waka waka.'

The ghost avatars were closing in on us. Things will be tricky now.

"Hide."

It'd be cutting it close, but I could take advantage of the cautious pause before they move into an open backyard. I could make it over the next fence just as the men in there turn their backs to –

'Oh fuck, I'm in a bloody dream. I'm not going to make it. Damn shi –'

The straps on my pack yanked my whole body backwards into a hedge.

'This... is a little awkward...' I thought.

From how intensely he glared holes into the guy walking past us, Bucky was a little more than focused on that and not where his hand was. On my chest, pinning me against a tree.

'You know what, wasn't I on bloody nerve blockers during this? What the fuck brain?! Why can't you get that bit right?!'

My movements were almost as numb as it was that night.

"Did I...? Did I just get shot through the bloody head? That didn't happen! Fucking damnit!!'

Back to the jumping fences.

Yay....

'Oh, you've got to be kidding me! I slipped and died on a fucking pool toy?! Where's the fucking pool!?! I hate you, brain!'

"They know about you," Bucky whispered in my ear.

"Oh well?" I shrugged.

'Not a bad place to restart.'

"...Are those Pacman ghosts...?"

'Waka waka uh oh waka waka shit waka waka....'

The disapproval on his face could burn itself into my one eye as the other watched possible escapes routes close by the second.

"Ye-yea –!"

'There wasn't even! Eve didn't see this guy! Oh... this.... This is in the wrong fucking spot...' I couldn't help but think with my toes barely touching the ground no thanks to the bastard yanking on my hair.

"Move, and I'll slice your throat," the words snarled into the side of my head with a bad case of coffee breath. "Where is the Asset?"

"The what?" I countered, buying time and searching for a way out of this shit storm. It be a dream but it still fucking hurt.

This guy wasn't exactly an amateur. The blade pressed right up against my skin. No wiggle room. I'd be bleeding out before I do a thing. So that only left me with my words until the blade moved enough for me to slip my arms in between. Probably....

"Don't play dumb, girl. The man with a metal arm."

"I have no fucking clue as to what you're talking about," I insisted and felt the blade slide into my skin.

My eyes snapped open at the almost inhale sound. That sound could only have been from the seal between rooms breaking. The shelf door's been opened.

I grabbed onto the taser as the remnants of my dreams slipped between my fingers and panic filled its place.

"Uh... Mr. Barnes is umm...."

Now a different panic bubbled up inside me. My hand let go of the taser in favour of searching the bed. Had to make sure that the blanket was somewhat in place or maybe find my shirt.

"He is... under your bed?"

"Bucky? What is he – Where's my fucking shirt? Ev – oof."

"I believe it's now on your face."

"No shit, Sherlock," I huffed, face still stinging from the slap.

The man under my bed had a powerful arm.

Crawling into my shirt, I spotted my shorts flying up. Once all dressed and properly covered up, I peered over the edge and spotted a terrified Bucky pacing under my bed.

His shoulders hunched high, close to his ears. His hands clenched and unclenched with almost every step. His breaths went in with gasps and came out in little puffs. His body was outright shaking.

Those blue eyes rapidly darted from one spot to the next. They locked with mine and he froze, staring up at me. So lost under all that fear.

I could practically hear the screams of 'help me' in his eyes.

.

.

.

Author's Note:

If you enjoyed this part, please consider leaving a vote. They're very much appreciated. ^^

And a big thank you to TinselA/Bunny Carrot (https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7591081/) and the Anonymous Fifth Beta for Beta-ing this chapter.