THREE

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

Chapter Three:  Brave Obsession

╚⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╝

       "AKI, open your eyes,"

She gasped at the cold hand on her head. She shot up from the ground, sucking in a deep breath, regaining the air in her lungs. She placed a hand over her chest, taking a moment to calm her heart rate down. She looked to the side where her father was crouched, worriedly looking at her.

"Papa," She said, reaching out to grasp his arm. "What happened?"

"The demon's effect took a toll on you and you passed out," He said, helping her back onto her feet. The field they were standing in was silent, the corpse of the demon laying just a few meters away. The sun was beginning to rise, and she knew that the demon would soon disappear with the rays of the sun.

"I'm sorry," She said.

"Don't apologize," He smiled kindly at her, removing his hands once he was sure she could stand on her own. "It's part of the learning experience. I did the same thing with my father."

She scratched the back of her neck. "Eh."

"Don't worry too much about it, Aki," He said, leading her away by her shoulder. "This is how you train. Trial and error. That's why I'm here with you. I'm your cover when this happens. And I always will be."

She smiled. "Thanks, Papa."

"Goddammit, Aki, wake the hell up,"

She groaned loudly, throwing her head over the edge of the couch. She felt a pillow smack against her face, making her face scrunch up. The item fell to the floor, and before the other one could hit her, she lifted her arm up and caught it.

"Screw off, Nate," She muttered, swinging her legs to the side as she sat up. "I'd just fallen asleep."

"Maybe if you weren't out partying all night, you wouldn't be so tired and hungover," He huffed out, his hands on his hips. "We need to check out in fifteen minutes. I let you sleep as long as I could. We need to move to the next city."

She muttered something under her breath and stood up. When the male turned, she chucked the pillow at the back of his head, telling him that it was payback. She gathered her bag and disappeared into the bathroom.

"We're going to Tokyo," Nathaniel called through the door, hearing the water running. "It's in one of the high schools. Kids are being found with lacerations and strangulation marks."

She opened the door, rubbing a towel over her dark hair. "Akamanto," She said, tossing the towel on the floor. "Classic bathroom spirit. Won't take me five minutes."