TWENTY-TWO

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

Chapter Twenty-Two: Diavol

╚⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╝

"Papa! Wait for me!"

The older man paused, slightly turning as he looked back. He took his hand from his pocket, holding it out to the little girl who ran up to him. He smiled down at her, watching her hand wrap around his middle finger.

"I thought you didn't want to go with me?" He teased, beginning to walk down the street once more.

The child huffed out, blowing strands of her black hair from her face. "Mama was being mean to me."

"I'm sorry, micul războinic," He sighed, picking her up in his arms. "How's this? I'll get you something from the store. Would you like that?"

She smiled and nodded. "A juice! And a honeybun!"

He laughed. "Okay, we'll get you juice and a honeybun. But first, Papa has to take care of some contracts. Do you think you can behave while I do that?"

"Yep!" She nodded. He kissed her forehead.

"That's my girl."

As she swore to her father, little Aki sat on the bench, swinging her legs back and forth as she watched her father from a safe distance. She could see her uncles as well. And once they had finished their contract, she was swept up in their arms.

"I haven't seen you in forever, micuțuleț!" Alexander exclaimed, peppering kisses to his niece's face. Much like her father, Alexander was tall and broad-shouldered. He had dark brown hair and a small stubble that tickled Aki's face.

"Have you been behaving for your father?" Marius asked, crouching down when Alexander set her back onto the ground. He fixed a few strands of hair away from her face.

"Mhm!" She said, holding up her bottle of juice and the half-eaten honeybun. "Here, Papa!"

"Now I bought you that and you don't even want to finish it?" He chuckled.

"Now, now! Unchiul tau will eat that!" Alexander said, snatching the treat from her hands, and making her laugh.

"When are you going to start letting her join in on the fun?" Marius asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"She's still a little too young," Alexander said around a mouthful. "She's what? Five?"

"I'm six!" She said holding up the numbers on her fingers. "Şase!"

"Your Romanian gets better every time I see you!" Alexander praised, making her smile brightly. "Adrian must be doing a good job of teaching you!"