EIGHT

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

Chapter Eight: Nathan's Gonna Kill Me Over The Bar Tab

╚⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╝

She raised the can up. The aluminum was cold against her lips as the cool alcohol slid down her throat. She tipped her head back, sighing when she finished the can. She slid it across the table, making it crash into the other cans lined there.

She looked around the bar. There were only a few people here and by the way the bartender kept coming back to check on her, thanking her every time she ordered something, she figured they didn't get much business. Then again, it was a Wednesday, and it was hardly six o'clock.

She took her phone from the table. She clicked on the messages app and refreshed the screen. Still no text from Nathan. She reached onto the table with her opposite hand and snapped the tab back on another can.

"Figured I may find you here."

She lifted her gaze. The tall man grabbed the chair across from her and pulled it out, seating himself there. He extended his legs out and looked at the cans piling up.

"What's the count?" He asked.

"I lost track about twenty ago," She muttered, bringing the can up to her lips. "What do you want, Sorcerer?"

"I have a question," He said.

"I could possibly have an answer," She replied, placing the can on the table. She crossed her arms over her chest.

"You mentioned something about a sanctuary," He said. "Would there be any information on this demon there?"

She sighed. "Maybe. I don't know. I've never actually been to the sanctuary. I've only heard stories from family."

"Do you even know if it exists? And how to get there?" Gojo asked.

"It exists," She confirmed. "There's an old map in some of my dad's old stuff. I'd just have to dig it all out and find it. It's been vacant for decades, but it's not like anyone can get inside of it."

"Then how are we supposed to?" He asked.

"The only way of entrance..." She pointed to herself. "...is me. Or, more specifically, my blood. The door is activated by the blood of a demon hunter. And, I am the last one to exist."

"How old is this place?"

"Imagine something from an 80's jungle adventure movie, then set it back a couple of thousand years. The place is ancient," She said, downing the rest of her drink. "Which is why we need to get started."

Her chair scraped on the floor as she stood up. She beckoned Gojo to follow her as made her way to the empty bar. She leaned against the counter and waited for the bartender.

"The demon hunters were originally begun in Japan," Aki said, looking over as Gojo leaned beside her. "Which means the sanctuary is probably somewhere in this country. Though, I have no idea where yet. For all I know, it could be months before we find it."

"So it is a 'we' thing now," He grinned at her as she closed out her tab, and the bartender returned her card.

"I hate doing things alone," She said, walking towards the exit, pushing the door open with her hip. "And my brother is currently not speaking to me."

"What'd you do to piss him off?" Gojo asked.

"Drink," She said. "He always gets pissed when I have a few drinks."

"Few?" Gojo chortled. "There were at least 50 cans sitting there. Which, how the hell are you able to drink so much? You don't even seem drunk."

"It's because I'm not, which Nate doesn't understand," She sighed heavily. "There's something in demon hunter's blood that gives them an extraordinarily high tolerance to alcohol. I've never actually been drunk before. But Nate always thinks I am, and he says I have a problem."

"Did you ever consider that you do?" He asked.

"How can I have an addiction to something that does nothing for me?" She scoffed. "It just bothers Nate because I'm pretty sure his dad was an alcoholic. I don't know. He's just a crybaby."

"He's just worried for you," Gojo waved his hand. "Cut him some slack. He's what, nineteen, twenty?"

"Nate just turned seventeen,"

Gojo looked down at her. "What?"

"Our Mom signed custody over to me when I was sixteen, and Nate was seven," She said. "I'm twenty-six, so Nate is seventeen. I wasn't very happy about raising Nate so young, but I sort of didn't have a choice unless I wanted him to go to foster care."

"He worries for you because he sees you as a role model," Gojo said.

"Maybe," She said. "It just gets annoying. He's constantly nagging me."

"Shouldn't that tell you something?" He hummed.

Gojo laughed at her. She glared up at him and huffed out. She stuffed her hands into her pockets as she walked down the road.

"How did you even figure out where I was?" She asked, glancing at him. "There are hundreds of bars in this city."

"This is the closest between your hotel and the school," He replied.

"Great, so now you're stalking me."

"Nathan told me where you both were staying," He said. "So I'm not stalking you. I'm just looking out for you."

"I don't need you to," She hummed. "I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself."

"Sure, sure," He chuckled. "Hey, how about we go grab some dinner?"

"Maybe in your dreams," She laughed. "I'm going to get some sleep."

"At least let me walk you home then," He grinned at her. "What kind of date would I be if I didn't?"

"A pretty shitty one," She smirked. "But it's too bad you aren't my date. So buzz off, Gojo. I'll be at the school first thing in the morning to get you. Then, we're taking a trip to the local library."

"I hate libraries, you know," He said.

"That's just because you don't know how to read," She replied, turning away from him. "Adiós,"

As Gojo watched as she walked down the street, he noticed something on the ground. He bent over and picked up the receipt from the bar, looking on the back to find a number scribbled in ink. He grinned slightly. When he looked back up, she had already disappeared into the crowd. Gojo chuckled and pulled his phone out of his pocket.

⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⋆⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶