NINETEEN

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

Chapter Nineteen: Frozen Tears

╚⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╝

AKI sat at one of the desks in the classroom, holding an ice pack to the side of her head. Her cheek was pressed against the cold synthetic wood, her eyes closed. Nathan thought she would have been sleeping, save for the fact that she just fought him tooth and nail about cleaning the gash on her forehead.

"Alright," Gojo said. "Who or what exactly hit you?"

"Rey," She mumbled from the desk. "He's some stupid fucking half-demon."

"He's a human who got attacked by a demon, but it wasn't long enough for him to fully become a demon," Nathan explained further. "He just kind of randomly appears and tries to get Aki to fight him again."

"I've kicked his ass nineteen times," She groaned. "He just won't leave me the hell alone."

"What's his obsession?" Gojo scoffed.

"My dad was the one to kill the demon that was turning him. I guess Rey had summoned it or some stupid shit like that. He was mad over it and has been trying to track him down. When he figured out my dad was dead, he started after me," Aki said, lifting her head from the desk. She placed the ice pack down.

"Do you think he could help?" The older man asked. "Finding this demon, I mean. Demons know demons, right?"

The black-haired woman rubbed the side of her head. "I mean...I don't know. Rey's a fucking stupid ass guy. It'd be a miracle if he knew anything about anything."

"It's worth a shot, isn't it?" Nathan asked.

"Don't you remember me telling you to shut the whole school down?" Aki asked, lifting her gaze to Gojo. "You do realize that was for a point, right? Half-demon or not, Rey is still dangerous. It would be bad if he got here because I know for a fact he'd go straight after any of the students here."

"Why would he go after sorcerers?" Nathan asked.

"Not sorcerers," She stated. "Kids. Why do you think I told you to stay here until I came? I'm not risking anything happening to you."

"Aki, I can take care of myself," He frowned. "It's only a half-demon."

"Half-demon or not, he's still a demon," She replied, reciprocating his frown. "And I don't want you wandering around until I get him to leave."

"So, what?" Nathan asked, looking at her. "Am I just...supposed to stay here?"

"No, you're staying with me," She said, before turning her eyes to Gojo. "I'm going out to try and find Rey. He usually only pops up when there's a bigger demon he can hide under. He may know something about the demon we're looking for."