SEVEN

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

Chapter Seven: Jujutsu Sorcerers Are Shit.

╚⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╝

"WHAT exactly is it that you do?"

The honey-eyed woman lifted her gaze from the metal table in front of her. She watched as the tall man entered the room, closing the door behind him. He walked to the other side of the table.

The first thing that she noticed was that instead of having the blindfold covering his eyes, he wore a pair of black sunglasses. He was wearing something other than the uniform she'd gotten used to recognize him in.

"Do you want the short version or the long?" She asked, looking back down at the finger on the table. She glanced to the side at a book. It was written in a language Gojo couldn't even guess.

The man hummed. "I have all day."

She flicked her gaze up to him before looking down once more. "I'm a demon hunter. They've been around since before the Edo period. It began as an organization; people who could see demons, who had been called crazy their entire lives, gathered together one day and decided to tackle these demons that were terrorizing them. At first, they were told that they were stupid, no one else could see them, so these people were just crazy. But soon enough, a demon attacked their village. With no one else to turn to, they called upon the hunters. They came and defeated the demon, proving to them that they were real. From there, word spread around. It started out with 20 people, then those people began to have children of their own, and it began to spread. We were known across the world,"

She placed the finger into a bag and cleaned off her tools. Gojo could see the slight rise and fall in her shoulders as she sighed softly and continued.

"Then came the Jujutsu Sorcerers. The demon hunters stayed out of their business, worked around them, and never had any kind of rivalry with them. However, one night, a woman returned to our sanctuary. She was in hysterics; her husband had been killed by a Jujutsu Sorcerer. He had been labeled as a curse."

"Is that why you hate sorcerers?" Gojo asked, watching her dry her hands. They seemed very delicate.

"They began to wipe my people out, one by one," She said, turning her gaze to him. "Then they started moving in groups. Then, the next thing anyone knew, there was only one clan left."

"Yours?" He asked.

"It was my father, my three uncles, and me," She said. "My mother wasn't a demon hunter and walked out when she figured out that I'd taken after my father. I didn't care. But...she did."

Aki leaned against the table after wiping the blood away and closing the book. Gojo leaned against the wall, watching her with a slight frown. He was engaged now, she could see in his expression. So she continued.

"My mother was the one to tip the Jujutsu Sorcerers off about where we were. They came, raided our home, killed my uncles, and slaughtered my father in front of me," She said, her gaze trained on the wall, a far-off look in her eyes. "My father told me to run, and I did. I've been running from the Jujutsu Sorcerers since I was twelve years old. I ran off to find my mother. Dad wanted me to find her so she could take care of me...but I was looking for her so I could kill her."

Aki pushed off of the table. She grabbed her chin and forced her head to the side, listening to her neck pop and crack. She dropped her arms to her side before sliding them into the pockets of her pants.

"She was already on the verge of dying when I found her. I was 16. She was laying on her death bed when she signed custody of Nathan over to me. Up until that point, I had no idea who he was. Didn't even know he existed," She said. "I've raised him for the past ten years of his life."

"So you're 26?" Gojo asked.

"If you asked me all that just to get my age, I think you added more onto yourself," She snorted. "But, either way, I fight demons and get shitfaced. There's not much more to it."

"Your brother seems to think different," He said.

"Nate's just a kid," She muttered, shaking her head. "He doesn't understand anything about what I do. He just takes the contracts if they make enough money and I take care of the problem. It's been like that for years."

"Could Nathan be doing what you do?" He asked, tilting his head to the side. "He seems awfully interested in it."

"The only way you can become a demon hunter is if you have the ability to see demons. Nate doesn't have that. He can only see them when they reveal themselves, and by then, it'd be too late. You saw what happened earlier," She replied. "Besides, he's too much of a softie. Yet, he still finds his way of being included. That's why I let him pick the contracts."

"You're such a great older sister," He chuckled, making her shake her head at him once more.

"I'm surprised you're a teacher," She said, lifting a dark brow. "You seem very...childish."

"Something wrong with that?" He asked playfully.

"You can never be taken seriously," She scoffed.

Gojo's grin slowly began to fall. "Can I ask you something?"

"Hm?"

"How did you know my name?"

She laughed. "How wouldn't I? I may not be part of the community, but trust me, I keep tabs on Sorcerers. I know who all of you are."

"Why are you so interested in it?" He asked.

"If someone's coming to kill me, I at least want to know their name," She shrugged. "And if they do something to my brother..."

She didn't finish her sentence, and she didn't have to. Just by the way her eyes darkened and the playful expression on her face fell, Gojo knew what she would do.

"Aki," He said softly. "Nathan is safe here. I've already informed all of the sorcerers that you both are here. And if someone so much as brushes your shoulder, they're going to have Hell rain down on them."

"I...appreciate you helping Nathan," She said, sincerity in her voice. "He's...all I've got left."

"Trust me," Gojo smiled softly, tilting his head down to meet her gaze. "Nothing with hurt either of you. As long as I'm here, there's not a single thing anyone can do."

"The funny thing is," She muttered. "I believe you."

His smile widened. "Good."

⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⋆⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶