TWENTY-FIVE

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

Chapter Twenty-Five: Reflections

╚⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╝

"AKI! Aki, calm down!"

"Papa!"

Her body turned around, her hair whipping with her. Her blurry eyes scanned through the trees, searching for her father through the thicket. Her chest was tight, eyes burning as she neared the edge of tears cascading over her cheeks. Her lips wobbled, her hands shaking as she brought them closer to her chest. She kept turning in a circle, the voice of her father and uncle swirling in every direction.

She could hear the rustling of the bushes around her. Her heart rate increased, her eyes going wide with fear. She exhaled shakily, tightening the grip on her shirt. She took a step back, jumping when she heard a stick crack. She looked down, her heart sinking when she didn't even see a branch under her foot. She heard a growl.

She slowly looked up, and she saw the reflection of her own petrified face in the dozens of eyes that were on the demon's face. It was at her eye level, saliva dripping past its lips. When he growled at her, she could see the pieces of flesh and tufts of hair stuck between its sharpened teeth.

The putrid stench only strengthened, making her feel sick to her stomach. She wanted to scream out for help, turn and run, anything—but she couldn't. She was frozen in place, only able to stare at it with wide eyes as it rose onto its hind legs, towering over her.

However, before it could strike, she heard it cry out in pain. She screamed as she was grabbed from behind, startled by the arms that picked her up by her waist. She kicked her legs, screaming for her father.

Too busy fending off her attacker, she hadn't realized that he was the one who'd slid his blade into the neck of the demon, swiftly severing its head. Behind her, Alexander tried to soothe her, trying to tell her that it was only him.

"Aki!" He yelled, setting her on the ground, and turning her to face him. She screamed and hit his shoulders, her eyes screwed shut tightly. "Aki, it's me! Alex! Hey!"

"Akeldama!" Her father exclaimed, grabbing her shoulders. "Esti ok! Esti in siguranta!"

She opened her eyes, her vision blurry from the tears. When her hazy gaze focused on him, his eyebrows were laced together in worry. He reached up, flattening her hair down before kissing her forehead.

"Sunt aici, mic războinic. Esti in siguranta." He whispered.

"P-Papa," She whimpered, her shoulders trembling. "Eram speriat!"

"But you were so brave," Alexander soothed, putting his hand on her shoulder as she began to wipe her tears. "You didn't even run away! So many people would have run away!"