TWENTY-SEVEN

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

Chapter Twenty-Seven: Where Does Your Trust Lie?

Warning: Blood/gore, angst

╚⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╝

THE sound of the light post buzzing above her head filled her ears as she opened the door. She walked from the apartment building, reaching up to pull her hood over her head. Her breath came out in a puff of smoke, the air freezing. She reached into her pocket, slipping a cigarette from the box before placing it between her lips. She paused, turning her back to the wind as she raised the lighter up, striking a flame to ignite the cigarette. Once it was lit, she turned back to walk along the sidewalk.

The stick of nicotine gave her a bit of warmth, though her hands were still icy to the touch. She held the cigarette in her mouth, shoving her hands into her pockets to keep warm. Japan was much colder than Baltimore, and she hated every minute of it.

"Don't you think it's a tad bit too cold to be wandering around? Especially at this hour,"

She rubbed her hands together. "Must not be too cold for you to be out either."

Rey chuckled, falling into step beside her as he emerged from the shadows along the side of a building. He watched as a black wisp ran past him, jumping onto the shoulders of the woman. Koko seemed to glare as she laid down, digging her claws into the woman's shoulder for stability.

"Well, you're the one who summoned me here," Rey replied, patting Koko on the head. "So what's the big rush? Some kind of emergency?"

"Where's Marius hiding out?" She questioned.

"Couldn't tell you," The half-demon replied, tucking his hands into his pockets as well. "As far as I know, he's been moving around. Talk with the other demons say so, at least."

"Listen some more," She said, blowing the smoke from her nose. "I need all the information I can get and if you value your life, you'll give it to me."

"I'll do what I can," He huffed. "But no promises. You know how those kinds of people are, Aki. I don't want to get too close to him because he'll kill me faster than you can."

"You're smart...enough," She muttered around the cigarette. "Get me his whereabouts."

"Alright," He said. "I'll see you in a few days."

"Make it two, or I'll hunt you down."

"Sure."

She flicked her eyes to the side to see he'd disappeared. Koko began to purr, rubbing her head against the back of Aki's. The woman reached over her shoulder, scratching the demon on the head. She walked around the block, spotting a small 24-hour convenience store on the corner. She took a final drag before dropping her cigarette onto the ground, crushing it with her boot.