FIVE

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

Chapter Five: I Pissed Nathan Off.

╚⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╝

GOJO looked down at his phone, watching as it lit up with a message. He grabbed it from the table, bringing it to view. He swiped to unlock it, clicking on the messages app.

Nathan
Will be late. Aki is gone. She's probably in a bar somewhere, I just have to track her down. Can you separate the cases by date? Start with the first victim and move down the line. Thanks.
9:21 AM

Gojo simply sent a thumbs up back and slipped his phone into his pocket. He left the common room, sending his students off to go with the second-years. He walked down the hallway, pausing when he heard shuffling in his classroom. A small frown formed on his lips. He grabbed the door and opened it. His lips parted in shock when he found the source of all the shuffling.

All the desks had been pushed against the wall, leaving a large open space on the floor. However, this was covered by sheets of paper. The empty boxes that held the case reports were strewn to the side, stacked up in a corner. The whiteboard was filled with locations with names under them. Lines were drawn from each name before leading up to the top of the board. There, it was left blank.

Gojo turned his attention to the woman. She whipped around when she heard him, making his eyes widen slightly behind his blindfold at the demon draped over her shoulder. She pointed the Expo marker at him.

"You," She said, moving the marker to the side. "Stand there."

"Why?" He asked, doing as she told.

"The victim's hearts weren't ripped out of their chest," She stated. Gojo watched then marker shift into a gun. His guard instantly rose, his body tensing. "They were blown out. The organs were never recovered, and the wounds are consistent with those of gunshot victims."

"There were massive holes in their chests," He said. "A gun isn't able to do that."

".950 JDJ. 24.1 millimeters in width, and 70 millimeters in length. The rifle used to shoot it uses McMillan Firearms stocks and extraordinalry thick Kreiger barrels, which bares an 8.2 kilogram muzzle break. It's mostly manufactured in the United States, however..." The gun in her hand turned into the said bullet. "...it can easily be imported. Or, created."

"How long have you been here?" He asked, his tenseness easing. The bullet turned back into the red Expo marker.

"That's irrelevant," She said, turning to the board. "The amount of force it would have behind it would, frankly, be more than enough to blow someone's head right off their shoulders. I believe it blew their hearts from their chest."

"So we're looking for a person?" He frowned. "Not a demon?"

"Demons take any shape or form," She said. "They're able to fully manipulate their anatomical structure to change it into anything they want. It could be possible that this demon has changed its anatomy to blend in with the human population."

"Do they give off a certain energy, like cursed spirits?" He asked, following her as she walked back to the middle of the room, stepping over papers.

"This one should," She muttered, crouching down, her right knee popping as she did. "Demons are ranked based on their powers. Similar to how you would rank curses, demon hunters classify demons by their strength and how hard it is to kill them. Just based on this little bit of information, I can say this demon will have enough power to give off the energy I can track."

"So how do you track it?" He asked.

She moved the cat-like demon off of her shoulder and stood up. She grabbed her coat and slid her arms through it. She turned to Gojo as she fixed her collar.

"I'm not familiar with Japan," She said. "So I don't know where the hell I'm going. But I need to go to the first scene. You're going to take me."

"It would be my pleasure," He grinned. "Though maybe you should call your brother and let him know where you are."

She slapped her hands on the pockets of her jeans. She cursed under her breath. "We'll pick him up on the way," She waved it off, turning to the door. As she did, the curse jumped back onto her shoulder, making her lift her hand and scratch its head.

"What is that?" Gojo asked.

"This is Koko," She said. "She's one of the lowest level demons. They don't specially have a name, so we just call them cat-demons. They're relatively harmless, but if pushed enough, they can attack someone. It won't do too much damage though. Maybe give a few bite marks and some scratches. They're usually kept as pets by higher demons. I saved Koko a while back, and she's just kept with me ever since. She disappears every year to hibernate."

The demon turned and looked at Gojo. She cocked her head and flicked her tail. Oddly enough, Gojo thought it was cute.

"How far away is the first site?"

"About fifteen. Twenty since we need to get Nathan," He answered.

"That's long enough," She replied with a hum.

"Long enough for what?" He asked, leading her outside.

"To sleep."

...

"Wake the fuck up, you stupid goddamn bitch!"

Aki's head shot up from the backseat as her ankle was seized. A startled yell left her lips as she was pulled from the car, her hands shooting out to stop herself before she could fall out onto the concrete sidewalk.

Nathan was standing over her, clearly pissed off. Not just by how he was scowling at her, but she could hear it in his voice. She swallowed hard and pulled herself out of the car as he stepped back.

"Listen, Nate—"

He grabbed her by her ponytail, making her cry out as he yanked her head back, pushing her to the side as he did. He huffed out, glaring at her as he climbed into the back of the car. She winced and rubbed her scalp, hissing in pain as she fixed her ponytail.

"C'mon, man, I wasn't even out drinkin' this time," She muttered, climbing in after him.

"I've been looking for you for six goddamn hours!" He exclaimed.

"I was at the school!" She said, rubbing her neck. "I found something out!"

"That's great—wonderful even!" He said. "But would it have killed you to fucking tell me that you were leaving and where the hell you would be?!"

"I'm a grown woman!" She exclaimed. "I didn't think I had to tell my little brother where I was going!"

"Shut up, Aki," He huffed, turning his head to the window, crossing his arms over his chest.

She just shook her head and leaned her head against the window, watching the scenery pass by. 

⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⋆⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶