FOURTEEN

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

Chapter Fourteen: Unholy. Impure. Unworthy.

Warning: Slight blood

╚⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╝

SHE shifted the car into park, turning the keys as she shut the engine off. She took her foot from the break, glancing out of the window at the forest beside her. She could see an overgrown path off to the side that clearly hadn't been used in years. She took her phone from the passenger seat and grabbed the handle of the car door. She shut the door, locking the vehicle as she slid the keys into the pocket of her pants.

She had driven an hour to get to this spot—the closest the GPS could bring her in the car to match the coordinates. She was only a few off and figured this path could have been the road leading her to where she needed to be. She guess the sanctuary would be elevated, just by reading the coordinates.

It took about another hour for her to trek through the path, jumping over fallen trees, detangling her pants from thorn bushes, and avoiding deer and foxes as they ran past her. She was constantly checking her location, ensuring she wasn't straying away from her destination.

She arrived in a clearing. She looked around her, brushing some dirt from her hands from climbing over trees and catching herself when she got caught on something. She looked up, squinting from the sun. She saw something on the top of the cliff.

However, it was no small cliff. And as she surveyed around it, there was no way up there either. The cliff was at least 300 meters high.

She groaned and rubbed her hands over her face. "I hate this job so much."

Was this a good time to mention that her biggest fear was heights? Especially ones that were...you know...extremely unsafe. She had to pause and lean her head against her arm to calm her racing heart before she continued on. Sweat beaded her forehead from the sun, and she was sure she would have some sort of tan line from her tank top after this.

She finally reached the top after what felt like hours. She pulled herself over the ledge with a grunt, collapsing onto the grass. She rolled onto her back, lifting the hem of her shirt to wipe the sweat from her forehead before draping her arm over her eyes. She caught her breath and gave time for her heart rate to return to normal. Once she regained feeling in her arms, she got back onto her feet.

She walked forward, her gaze falling onto the building in front of her. Her eyes filled with astonishment, her lips parting in shock.

Massive gray towers reached out towards the sky, the tip of the structures decorated with crosses. The arched windows were painted, marvelous artwork stretching from the bottom all the way to the top. The tall archways still stood proudly, welcoming the people they were built to protect. A statue of the Virgin Mary holding her child stood above the doorway, the stone looking the same as the day it was set. Everything from the walls, to the arches, the windows, and even the floors were intricately carved with beautiful detail.