THIRTY

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

Chapter Thirty: The Fall of The Dragavei

Warning: blood, gore, angst

╚⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╝

"I don't believe it..."

Aki paused, the voice of her father rising in her ears. She moved the gogosi away from her mouth, wiping the powdered sugar from her lips. She took a step back, leaning around the doorframe of the living room.

She could see Alexander standing in the middle of the room, his hands in his pockets. Her father was standing across from him, his arms over his chest, and a frown on his lips. Aki placed her snack in the kitchen before returning to the living room.

"This makes 17 hunters dead," Alexander said, an edge to his voice. "All because of the Jujutsu Sorcerers."

"We need to make some kind of move," Her father mumbled. "A move that would show that we're not harmful towards them or their work. If only we could arrange some kind of meeting or something..."

"A peace treaty?" Alexander frowned deeply, removing his hands from his pockets. "Forgive me if I sound rude, frate, but I don't believe a peace treaty will solve anything. It will only get you killed."

"My people are being slaughtered," Adrian said. "I won't sit idly by and watch them go one by one."

"We need to retaliate."

"We will not attack,"

"That's the only way, right?"

Both men turned to see the young girl standing in the doorway. Aki walked inside, making her father sigh quietly.

"They're just going to keep killing us if we don't show them that we can fight back," She said. Adrian placed his hand on her shoulder. "We have to do something!"

"Injuring or killing them is not what we do," Her father said. "You remember our oath, Aki. We will not harm other people, even if they are harming us."

"The only thing we can do is forgive them for what they've done," Alexander muttered. "As much as we hate it, it is our way. They are only following the orders of their superiors. Whether they agree with those orders or not, is a matter to be taken with God when their time comes."

"Are they going to kill us?" She asked, her eyebrows lacing together as she looked at her father. "Papa, are they coming after us too?"

At that moment, they all turned towards the back door, the sound of rustling outside startling them. Adrian grabbed Aki and pulled her into his side, his thumb sliding the silver ring from his middle finger. It shifted into a pistol. Alexander did the same, bringing the gun up.