THIRTY-EIGHT [FINAL]

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

Chapter Thirty-Eight [Final]: You're Amusing.

╚⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╝

WHEN his eyes opened, he found the space beside him to be empty. Groggily, he sat up, his gaze flicking around the room. He tossed the blankets to the side, looking to where the spot her bag once was, only to find it missing. When he walked from the bedroom, the apartment was completely silent, the only sound coming from Gojo as he exhaled, his shoulders dropping.

He walked into the bedroom where Nathan was staying, discovering that he too was gone. His bed was made neatly, the blankets tucked under the mattress and the pillows neatly arranged over the duvet. The dressers were all empty and there wasn't even a sign that either of them was ever here.

Gojo felt a tightness twist in his chest. He exhaled deeply, closing the door as he turned away. He walked into the kitchen, leaning against the island. His hands slid through his hair, white strands entangled in his fingers.

He lifted his head when he felt a presence that swirled through the room. He let his arms drop onto the counter, his gaze searching around the room. He heard shuffling outside and looked toward the glass windows.

She was there, her hands in the pockets of her jacket. She was leaning against the railing, a cigarette between her lips. Her eyes were closed, her chest rising and falling steadily. She took her hand from her pocket, taking the cigarette from her mouth. She looked up, her head turning to meet Gojo's gaze through the glass.

He pulled open the door, ignoring the icy air that nipped at his arms. He closed the door stopping across from her. She took one last drag from her cigarette before tossing it over the side. She held her breath for a moment, letting the effects of the nicotine seep into her before she exhaled, the smoke pouring past her lips.

"I thought you left," Gojo said.

"I did. But—" She took a deep breath, shrugging her shoulders. She turned her head away from him, watching the snow pour over the city of Tokyo.

"Why'd you come back?" He asked.

"Are you complaining?" She quirked a brow, but she never turned to meet his gaze.

"You had a reason," He stated. "You said it yourself. You don't come back for no reason. So, why?"

"Why not?" She shrugged. "You're...amusing."

"I believe you think of me as something more than just amusing," He hummed, stepping out onto the balcony.

"Maybe."

Gojo watched the way her hair brushed away from her face because of the wind. Her eyebrows were laced together, honey-colored irises cast to the side. Her lips were pulled into a small frown.