25 August 2022

Scorching heat wavers over the desert sand. Dunes form in waves and moons. Wind blows them from one shape to another.
Further up a little sand whirl, vanishes as soon as it was created.
From the dust, a black figure appears.
Its face is hidden behind a hood.
Its body is covered under a cloak.
No movement happens.
Although a shiver goes down my spine, as it feels I'm being watched.

After what it seems like an eternity, decides the strange figure to disappear in a blink.
"Your time has come for a new passage.", I hear a low voice behind me. A strong arm strangles around my neck, before I could turn to see the voice behind me.

I shoot awake right away. My fingertips drowsily wipe the dirt away from my eyes that prevents me from checking the time.

The clock blinks 3:33 am. Its light is blinding. My sleepy eyes decide to close again.

A fire surrounds my vision. When I look closer, roses light up under the fire. I take my shoes off and take steps closer towards the bush of roses.
The sand on my soles burns with each step.
I kneel before it and stare with awe.

Without changing position, my mind races through a million thoughts.
I let each one go in search for peace.
When my eyes open, they are greeted by the setting sun.
My hands lightly dive into the sand which already started cooling off dramatically.

Once the sun is gone, an immersive cold settles over the desert.
I face the bush with now low-dimmed fire.
"I must still be dreaming, is that right?", I find myself. asking.

A shock of cold rushes through my body once I find myself alone in the darkness.
My guts assure me that I'm not deserted but my mind panics. I run in search for something other than sand.
Displeased, I fail. The realisation of me being hungry enforces the knot I had a while in my stomach and it starts bothering. I try to ignore it by running again.
With a second fail, I begin to understand that I'm lost.
As the cold starts to bite, I put effort into searching for the burning bush again.

The knot in my stomach, now insupportable, seizes my search.
I roll up in a ball with my knees to my chest, laying on the sand.
Shivering from the cold, I whimper, my voice shakes.

"I want to wake up..", is the only thing I manage to whisper.