24 April 2020

I shift in my chair uncomfortably. I stand up firmly with my hands flat on the desk. What's wrong with me? Why can't I concentrate? I frown at myself.
Suddenly books from one of my shelves fall to the ground. I head towards them to put them back.

As I do so, I spot a picture of an old friend. Oh, Ariel. It's been quite a while since I have talked to you. Come to think of it, all the memories I have with you don't give away your personality.
That thought makes me nervous. I try to find a reason that would say that I'm just imagining that. But nothing. All I remember about Ariel is that he always was quiet. He seemed to know more than he would tell. He was always kind. But he never gave away anything of him. Not his favourite colour, food, movie, music or anything for the matter. Then I remember his looks. Always dressed properly, additionally with suits and his long hair in a low, thin ponytail.

As I dig deeper in my memory, I also remember his hair colour was quite odd but we brushed it off as normal. It was sort of a very light, close to white blond.
He was always great at solving issues. He's taught me so well.

But there is something strange about that...
As I finished putting back the books after my train of thoughts, I spot a little box in the corner of my eye.

I pick it up and open it to find a little key. I start fiddling a bit with it as I don't remember what it could be for. Trying to put my thoughts aside about Ariel, it comes to me that his name is quite familiar from before meeting him too. There is something strange about it.

With dismissing that thought, I remember the key is for the lock on a box full of my childhood drawings. Luckily I had brought it here when I came here first a long time ago.

Determined to get some distraction from the work I've been spending all my day on, I go to the attic to search for the box and open it. I look through the drawings and after a while I spot the same character more and more. I blink in confusion. All the drawings of that character look like... Ariel. How is it even that I drew those before I met him?

Quickly distracted by all of that I spot a white feather near me. I pick it up and smile remembering how I always thought white feathers were signs of angels. Wait... Suddenly I remember how I once was with Ariel and we helped a little kid out. She told Ariel he was an angel. I didn't think it would be literally, could it?

I try to dig in deep about my angel knowledge. A-ri-el. His name ends with an - el. I know angel names end with - el. With that meaning "of God".
But I don't remember an Ariel as angel... A- ah... Uh... Uh... - riel..? That's it! Uriel!

The sound of wings flying my way from behind me strikes out of the blue and makes me jump. "Ah! Ariel?!"

I look around me to see nobody. Then I hear ticking sounds coming my way. They seem familiar. It's like those ticks that my bird made back when I was little. Sadly it flew away.
Then I realise the little dove trying to catch my attention by flying on my lap. "Oh, so it was you! Well, hello, my little dove." I stroke the feathers gently. "I'm glad to see you're doing better. Sooner or later you will recover and then you'll fly free. But let's get back down to the kitchen, I'm sure you must be hungry."

The bird settles on my shoulder and after putting the drawings back in the chest, I take them down with me.