7. Happy

Song:
Strings - Shawn Mendes

"Happy birthday Melina." I said giving a side hug. She was now 14. We had about 2 weeks left of school. Shawn and I haven't talked much. We still walked to first hour together. We still texted each other goodnight, but we aren't exactly the same anymore.

'It's been awhile, but meet me tonight at the dock.' Shawn texted me.

'Alright, but at 8 because Melina's Bday.' I responded.

'K.'

"Thanks." Melina said. She had a few of her friends over.

"Time for presents!" Our mom practically yelled.

Melina wasn't big on people giving here things. In fact she wants to travel the world to teach the less fortunate kids , but our parents think she wants to be a Lawyer.

My parents had big dreams for us. My dad was a successful business man and my mom was a therapist.

Melina got gift cards and money. My parents got her an iPhone. Mark gave her new shoes. When it came to my present, I knew that I had them beat

She gasped when she opened the jewelry box. I knew that she wanted to travel the world, but she always wanted to stay close to Atlanta. That's where we grew up.

So, I got a necklace that had where it had the Longitudes and Latitudes of our house in Atlanta engraved. On the back of it had our family member names on it.

"So, you'll always remember us. Wherever you go." I whispered. She looked on the verge of tears. She got up and gave me a hug. Everyone around us had a confused look on their face. I guess it's just a sister thing.

"Thank you, you remembered." She let go of me and I gave her arm a squeeze.

-----------------------------------------

As usually Shawn is playing his guitar when I arrive.

"Oh hey-" He starts as I sit next to him.

"No. I need to get somethings off my chest. I'm sorry. I don't want to go through this summer being mad at you. I told you to go and be out there and it's paying off. I have no right to be a hypocrite. I want you to go and share your voice. Yes, I will be sad that you're gone and yes, I will miss you terribly, but this is about you not me. Gosh, I just have been a horrible girlfriend. I don't even know why you're still dating me. All i bring is drama and.." I slowly run off. "I haven't even been a friend first. So, as a friend I'm telling you to go. I'll tell your girlfriend to suck it up." He smirked at my last comment.

"Kayla. You're not a horrible girlfriend. Couples are going to disagree. They are going to argue. It's how we deal with it is what matters. You don't bring Drama. You get mad, annoyed, angry because you're human and I love you for that."

I didn't know what to say. We haven't said those words to each other before. "Thank you." I said shyly.

"When I met you I knew that I wanted to know how you slept, how you liked you're pizza. Your view on life and the world. I wanted it all. I wrote another song for you, but it's not done yet either." He looked down at his guitar and started singing.

Darling I want all the strings attached

I love it when you look at me like that

And you're the only girl that brings me back

'Cause baby I want all the strings attached

It's like always and forever

I won't let a moment pass

And when I'm with you I feel better

I want all the strings ...

"Let's just enjoy the summer while we can. Okay?" He asked.

"It's only three months. I can survive that." I said laying my head on my head on his shoulder. He put slid his hand into mine and gave it a squeeze and that was all the reassurance I needed.

I feel like I should skip the whole summer because nothing really happens but some events are important so I don't know.

- A