36

We had to wait a day to find out who put a hit on Pacer or at least where the hit was placed from. Amari left after the phone call and was smug about being right.

A slight knock on the door. "It's open."

"You really need to not do that, who knows who could have been there." She says before sitting down.

"I knew it was you." She rolls her eyes. "What do you have?"

"There was no hit put on Pacer, he was not the target, that is why the guys hit a wall."

"Who was the target?"

"You."

"Me?" She nods before showing me the transcripts of a conversation between unknown people.

"The person who pulled the trigger was killed a few days after they killed Pacer, I guess to tie up loose ties. We do know that the call was placed in Paris..."

"So let's go." She looks at me for a moment

"Uhm, Abiya, I am not travelling with you to Paris to chase someone who hired a hit on you."

"Okay well, you can stay here if you want but I will be going to Paris by tonight."

"And do what? Ask more thugs?"

"If I have to."

"When did you become so irrational?"

"When I saw him die in my arms! When I realised that the only person who loves me is dead! Either you are helping me or you are in my way."

"I am going to regret this but fine. Go get packed."

We were using her father's jet, I brought books along to keep myself busy and stay away from her.
This is the first time I am allowing myself to be alone with my thoughts. A strong part of me believes in order to move on, I need to see the person responsible for taking the father of my child away, dead.

There is also a small voice in my head that is telling me to let it go, telling me to turn back, to go home and close the chapter. To move out of his house, sell it, buy a nice townhouse with a swing set and pool. Quite a feeble voice.

While it is only a tiny voice telling me to turn back, logic is asking me why I am doing this. I am not a vengeful person, I am not a murderer and the darkness I feel is not a consequence of being with Pacer or Amari, it is in me.

Is it why I had a fixation on death and danger, the act of evading death seems to be avenging my mother and father. Am I obsessed with vengeance? No.

"Bibi!"

"Huh?"

"I have been calling you for a while. What would you like to eat?"

"Anything." She nods before heading to the kitchen and comes back with creamy chicken, brown rice and steamed mixed vegetables. "Thank you." She nods but stays in place instead of going back to her laptop.

"Listen, I still don't think this is safe, to be here when we don't know who put a hit on you."

"Amari..."

"No really think about this, put revenge aside, you want to die looking for the person responsible?"

"Amari..." She interrupts again

"Abiya, please don't put me through this."

"I am not putting you through anything, you can leave if you don't want to help me."

"You know that is not what I meant. I care about you and I don't want to bury you."

"You won't have to if we find the person and kill them first."